Anyone here build they're own shed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right i need to build my own shed as it needs to be about 10x5.

Now i'm gonna be using 3x2 for the frame, and it will be a pent shape shed. Now what is the best option for the sides, my mate recommend Feather edge fencing, will this be okay and most of all water tight? as i have Feather edge in the garden and there are gaps where the wind has caught it.

Can you recommend floor and roof aswell, been told not MDF.

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
I have made a few sheds in the past and prefer to use shiplap for the cladding, which I have always found to be waterproof, and it's heavier-duty than featherboard. One tip; if it's recently tanalised give it a few days to dry out before you use it (it shrinks.)

For the roof and floor I used to use OSB (orientated strand board) and have never had any problems, although some people prefer plywood. I wouldn't use mdf or chipboard.

I used to use either 3 x 2 or 2 x 2 for the frame. Often I would line the shed with 1/4" ply but I would probably use 4mm or 6mm MR MDF for this nowadays.

The best way, (I think), is to make the 4 frames seperately, nail on the lining to hold them square, nail on the shiplap and then stand them up (around the floor) and coachscrew them together.

Shiplap is used on the better quality shed and you will see all of the cheaper sheds on sale clad with feather board because its cheaper and not as weather tight.

hhheeelllooo h t mark

several points
i am assuming feet and inches
i would also suggest txg shiplap but i would plan a bit longer for drying out after treatment [i found this out the hardway :LOL: ]

are the measurements internal or external!!!
i would find out what lengths are avalable before settling on you final size to minimise wastage
remember the boards are imperial and cut wood is metric and thus 3m is 2" shorter than 10ft
i havent got any joints in my shed [12ft by 10 ft]so the 2ft centres works fine but i have loads of doors and windows[windows positioned 21"from the side to use up the the odd bits left from the the lengths
[i think they where a mixture of 3.9 and4.2m]
will post my planning thread if i can find it :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)
http://www. moderators permitting*
what actual use do you plan for your shed!!!

Sponsored Links
petewood said:
I have made a few sheds in the past and prefer to use shiplap for the cladding, which I have always found to be waterproof,
And it's easier to treat it with tung oil as with featheredge it's too rough.

Thanks guys really helpful so far, that size was approx.

Iam gonna do 3mx1.5m approx, it is the best size for the gap.

Use will be a Tumble Dryer & Frezzer at the back wall and then just tools, there are gonna be electrics in there and a 2way consumer unit with RCD. (my mate is doing that, Qual Elec)

Also what kinda slope do i need to add to it for the pent shape?

And how much is Shiplap Cladding as never seen it, or noticed it before.

Thanks really helpful info so far.

i paid £1 a m for preasure treated 5" txg[tounge x groove]shiplap coverage 110mm
9x110=990mm so just over £9 a square m
as i got a 20% you can call that about £11a square m

its very ideal for your situation as its very weather tight
whereas feather edge boards rely on the boards not twisting

Ok not very good at working out Sq M

if it's 3m long by 1.5m wide and 2m high how much would that be approx?

as thermo says spot on [assuming it has 4 walls and not connected]

dont forget you will need a foundation or base
if you have a base youll need another 9m strait run for a skirting to cover the woodwork underneath although 20mm will be above floor to cover the 20mm shortfall 990 +990=1980

assuming you have normal doors and windows you can remove this area from the calculation then add on between 10 and 20%for wastage[so probably call it quits ;) ]

but your best to find out the exact coverage and length before doing exact plans

Thanks again,

Yes havent taken out the Window but as you said waste, the door eill be made out of the same thing aswell.

What drop do you need to make the slope for the pent would a 6" drop be okay?

And i asume you lay the Shiplap lengh ways?

Cheers V Helpful

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back