Anyone near Barnet, Herts with a table saw?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a plank of conti-board cut into three strips. Obviously, I could do this using a hand-saw or jigsaw, but I would really like to have a perfectly straight edge!

Is there anyone out there within reach of Barnet on the London /Hertfordshire borders with a table saw who wouldn't mind doing this for me? - I will be happy to pay you for your trouble.

Sponsored Links
If you really want a good edge, you should cut it a few mm oversize and then finish it with a router.

BTW Sorry I Live miles away.

dont the sheds still have board cutting service!!!!!!
ok you have to buy the conti there :rolleyes:

and as tex mex says unless youve got a tripple chip blade youll get chipping

why not use a circular saw with a sacraficial piece of 6mm ply to stop it chipping out clamp and a strait edge ;)

Thanks for the advice about chipping........ and yes, the 'sheds' do have a cutting service, but the minimum width they will cut is pretty wide, so that's not an option.

Sponsored Links
any decent timber merchant should be able to supply and cut the boards to your requirements. they normally only charge for each cut and they are mm perfect

Decided that, as I will probably have a lot more to do in the coming weeks and months, to splash out on a table saw myself...... worked a treat for cutting the conti board with next to no chipping whatsoever (and what there was was so small you needed a magnifying glass to see it! - thanks for the masking tape tip)

BUT........ Got most of it cut, left the saw for 1/2 hour, went back to it, started it up again and the fuse blew. Replaced, same thing happened again, and a 3rd time (after checking, re-checking, and triple checking everything). Anyone got any ideas as to what could be causing this? (I was using a heavy duty extension cable and the table saw plug holds a 5amp fuse)

Was it a cheapie table saw?. These tend to use cheap motors. Check the manual, it may state the maximum running time of the motor before resting, as some of the cheap pillar drills do. It's possible that the motor is shorting. Take it back and get a replacement.

Well, it wasn't the most expensive, but I wouldn't describe it as cheap! It wasn't run for a long period and it was after a 1/2 hour rest that it suddenly started cutting out.

I am going to take it back - but I just thought I would check to see if anyone could think of an obvious reason why it would be doing this, to save me the hassle of returning!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have been told by several 'experts' that they cannot understand why only a 5amp fuse is in it. Would you agree? and if so, what would you recommend?

please note 10a which is here

you need to know the information on the ratings plate !!!!!
if its rated at less than about 950w approx 4 amps it shouldnt blow
but any more may explain why its happening [especialy if you keep cycling the saw stop start stop start]

corabar said:
Sorry - thought I'd mentioned that in an earlier post, but obviously not... DOH!

It's 1600W

well its roughly 230w = 1 amp so 1600w is approx 7 amps so 10 or more usual 13 amp fuse required

When I used to make all my furniture at home out of contiboard I would work out the boards I needed and make a cutting list then go to either homebase or B&Q who had a wall panel saw.
B&Q would cut to the exact sizes I wanted while Homebase allowed 2 cuts per board and 25p a cut over the 2.
I had the list worked out so they could cut 2 sheets/planks at a time so I never had to pay any extra.
The most difficult and time consuming part of making furniture out of chipboard was getting the screw holes in the right position.
I used chipboard plugs for screwing into and made a jig with changeable drill bushes for the clearance holes and matching hole for the chipboard plugs.
I didnt have to mark out any holes.
Just used the jig which was designed for use with chipboard with 3" differences in width.
Drill bushes made from old broken milling machine drawbars during lunch break at work.
Hardwood for the jig cost approx £1 for the short lengths required (18") and holes drilled accurately at 3" centres on same milling machine as the drawbars were from.
Pity Plasplugs stopped making those chipboard plugs or I would have patented the design and sold it.
That £1 in wood has saved many hundreds of pounds for all the furniture I have made for myself, kids and friends over the last 17 years.
Kitchen cupboards both floorstanding and wall, wardrobes, TV cabinet, hi fi units, computer desk, huge floor to ceiling 6 door kitchen cupboard, the list is endless.
Good job I realised that those chipboard plugs were no longer being made so bought up everyone I could find and still have a couple of thousand left ;)

Just to report back...

Replacement saw arrived, again 5amp fuse fitted, again 1st cut fine, measured for next cut, went back to the saw and pressed the ON switch - fuse blew..... all exactly the same as last time.

So, fitted a 13 amp fuse and all working perfectly now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back