Anyone used pond liner for shed roof ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have heard it's UV proof and lasts much longer than felt. If you have, how did you attach it so the wind doesn't make it billow? glue it to the roof ?

Pete

Sponsored Links
If you use proper roofing felt and not the thin shed felt it will last for a long time.

er no pond liner is not uv proof, thats why you dont leave exposed edges. the wood will sweat as well as its designed not to let moisture through.

Thermo is not worng.

pond liners will after prolonged exposure to sunlight change into large corm#nfllakes.

the g'tee is against a leak

Sponsored Links
not that any one would not believe me but taken from a pond liner website

" manufacturers of both Butyl Rubber Pond Liners and Greenseal Rubber (colour of material is black) offering a full Lifetime Guarantee against any latent manufacturing defects"

the g'tee always refers to the manufacturing side against defects, and some websites say similar to "g'tee not valid unless used in conjucntion with our liner underlay"

Thermo said:
the wood will sweat as well as its designed not to let moisture through.

As opposed to most roof coverings which leak like a sieve :rolleyes:

I think he meant epdm, used for both roofs and ponds. Manufactured by the same companies and often of the same spec.
I think the jury is out whether as to they are selling the exact same product for both, but marketing would imply that they aren't the same thing.

Taken from http://www.pondliners.com/

"PDM Pond Liner Facts:

EPDM Pond Liners have high expansion and contraction characteristics that enable it to conform to objects below the pond. Should earth movement occur, such as settling, EPDM's high elongation will enable it to stretch.

EPDM pond liners flexibility provides more versatility in the pond design. Unlike preformed liners, it can be easily shaped to fit the unique contours of the pond dimensions, allowing a more unique design.

EPDM Pond Liners stay flexible in temperatures from -40 Fahrenheit to 175 Fahrenheit making it easy to install year round. Unlike other liner materials, EPDM Pond Liners do not contain plasticizers that could make it become brittle with age and cause cracks or splits in the material, threatening aquatic life.

EPDM Pond Liners requires little or no regular maintenance once installed. Remarkable resistance to the harmful effects of ultraviolet radiation (UV), ozone and other environmental conditions."

yes but they do not mention its protected from uv because its under water

yes thank you deluks, i meant let the wood breath, as opposed to letting moisture through!

Thanks for the replies folk. I have been looking further and found,

http://www.permaroof.co.uk/residential.asp

these give 20yr guarantee , I last used the green stone? covered felt and after 3yrs it's starting to crack.

AND

http://www.diyroofing.com/html/shedcover_epdm.html

This is exactly what I want but expensive in comparison to pond liner from a garden centre + adhesive. But it does imply that it is feasible.

Re sweating, isn't a shed going to have enough under roof ventilation for it not to be a problem, in fact for moist air to get between the roof and rubber to cause sweating wouldn't that count as ventilation anyway?

Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back