Anything else i need?

AL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to get the local electricity board out to upgrade my electricity supply to 100A and get an isolation switch installed so that i can have a second consumer unit fitted for my shower. Is there anything else i need to ask the electricty board to do? Do i need a junction box or something to split the 100A supply between the two consumer units from the isolation switch? Does this need to be fitted by the sparky or the electric company?

TIA

AL

Sponsored Links
as you are going to so much effort why not just get a bigger consumers unit? much easier

If your supply authority install an isolator switch, you could do the job installing a fuse board or as breezer said upgrade your existing to a split-load yourself, but only if you feel confident, otherwise leave it.

To be honest i wanna keep the cost down, besides i've already bought the shower consumer unit before i realised i only had a 60A connection. Jeeze this damn shower is costing me a fortune, the shower itself only cost £100 and i must have spent more than that already on installation materials not to mention all the time and effort installing it all. That 10mm cable isn't the easiest to work with!

So i am now at the point where the whole thing is installed and i got the cable down to the electrics cupboard, so i guess i am at least on the last leg, thank goodness :)

So how much is one of these fuse boards going to cost me?

cheers guys!

Al

Sponsored Links
If you have already bought a fuse board for the shower, I would cut the meter loops and install some terminal blocks (ie Henly blocks) then joint the meter loops into you new board....just make sure that the meter loops are the same size....this will be cheaper than installing a split-load board

il78 said:
just make sure that the meter loops are the same size....this will be cheaper than installing a split-load board
Same as the main incoming or 10 mm ?

Same as the main incoming - they are both upstream of the CUs they are feeding so the only protection they have is the main supply fuse.

Thanks for your advice guys, i am still waiting for the leccy board to arrange a date to upgrade my supply and fit an isolator, doubt it'll be before xmas now :(

What is this henly blocks you mentioned, some kind of junction box i guess, don't know where i can buy this from. Not the kinda thing you can get at your local B&Q i guess?

Actually, you can get them at B&Q (the big ones). They are also known as service connectors or service splitters.

They look like this:

RDCB6.jpg

Inside is 1 or 2 thick metal bars with holes for cables and screws to clamp onto same:

MK1101.jpg

Single pole versions have 1 bar, and double pole ones have 2 bars - you will need either a double pole or two single poles, each pole able to take 3 x 25mm cables, which should be proper 6181Y meter tails:

CA25TRSLASH50.jpg

CA25TBSLASH50.jpg

Scoby_Beasley said:
il78 said:
just make sure that the meter loops are the same size....this will be cheaper than installing a split-load board
Same as the main incoming or 10 mm ?

25mm Red/Black
16mm Earth

Excellent i'll pop down to B&Q later on then and get me one of those chappies. Just waiting on the electical boards contractors to get back to me now.

b4 you go, make sure the "chappie" has company, you want 2 not just one

Better to buy a DP 'twin' block which takes both L & N for £10 'ish

No i was going to connect the live and neutral to the same block........just kidding ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back