APC Powerchute password

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Bit of a long shot but you never know....
On a job today, previous admin left on a bad note and decided to change all the passwords before he left!. Managed to get into the network ok, and had to reset a couple of routers and printers but we are back up and running ok, apart from the UPS, I cant get into the management software at all, I have mailed APC and am awaiting a reply but I should imagine it is their policy not to advise on getting past passwords even if there is a way. Software has been installed/uninstalled, default passwords and "backdoors" found on google didnt work. Not a major problem as all is running well but I'd like to reset the password if poss. The ups is an APC SMART 750 on a serial connection, software is Powerchute basic 7.02

Thanks for reasding, hope you didnt fall asleep !

Sponsored Links
eggplant said:
Hi all,
On a job today, previous admin left on a bad note and decided to change all the passwords before he left!

I have often heard that old story, but never seen a case.

I hope he has been reported to HR and will not be getting a good reference. If he is a contractor he deserves never to be given a job again where he could do that.

At the worst, I am sure you could get the UPS supplier to send someone along to fix it for a day's consultancy fee.... a couple of thousand should cover it.

If you did a clean install on new disks, then there would be no trace of the old password. I hope the backup/restore process has been recently tested.

I have often heard that old story, but never seen a case

I havnt seen it either until today !

I hope he has been reported to HR and will not be getting a good reference
allegedly he was up to "no good" which is why he got his cards, aparantly he remoted in afterwards and caused a few problems - could have been worse.....

If you did a clean install on new disks, then there would be no trace of the old password
Indeed, but backup has been lapse to say the least, and the server with the ups in question is a mail/web/file/"you name it" server, AD has over 2000 users and group policies are all over the place so I dont even want to go there.... New DR procedures are being implemented.

At the worst, I am sure you could get the UPS supplier to send someone along to fix it for a day's consultancy fee.... a couple of thousand should cover it.

Maybe, but as I said, the ups is fine, did a test today and server shut down fine at 30% power, but I would like to be able to check the status and have it mail me in the event of a power outage. But I dont feel at this stage that any additional cost is justified. If the worst came to the worst I'd probably replace it with an Opti or something.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Sponsored Links
Back