applying BAL WP1 onto bare plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just bought the BAL waterproof kit and speaking to the woman in the shop she advised me against applying it directly to the wall as it stands now. At the moment it is just the bonding coat without any finishing coat. I didn't see the point of putting a finish coat on as it will be completely covered over with tiles soon.

The finish is smooth, but obviously not as smooth as a finishing coat skim would give. Is it Ok to apply the WP1 to this surface or do I need to skim over first?

Cheers,
Simon

PS. I have read the instructions on the tin, but it does not mention this as a requirement, only that it can be used on plaster\plasterboard and how long it must have been allowed to dry for.

Sponsored Links
Although your bonding may be smooth it is a lot more porous than a skimmed wall so the adhesion of the tanking may be reduced. Give BAL technical line a call, number should be on the kit they are yery helpful. Or their website now has a technical queries forum.

Jason

Hmm, that's a good point, I never thought of the porosity of the surface. I shall try giving them a call, now where did I put the packaging?? :eek:

simon

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back