Architect’s Outline Specification - how closely does this need to be followed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just looking for some advice on something. I’m getting a sunroom/extension built at the back of my house and noticed the builders are using 120 mm thick Kingspan floor insulation boards (TP10/TF70/TW55) whilst the Architect’s Outline Specification states that it should be 150 mm thick Kingspan K103 (so thicker and generally higher quality too I believe). I asked about this and the Architect himself has told me that using 120 mm is still compliant. I’m just a bit concerned that if they are not following the spec what else could go wrong with the build, how closely are they required to follow the Outline Specification before they are breaching some regulations?

I’m located in Scotland.

Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Builders should follow the specification implicitly, and only change things with your prior approval.

Obviously they have used a cheaper/inferior insulation, and whilst it may still perform to the required standard, they should reimburse the costs of the cheaper product.

They have priced the work based on the drawings and specification, remember that always. They may then look to substitute products to their advantage not yours.

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, interestingly the Architect’s drawings show 120 mm boards but his spec says 150 mm.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, interestingly the Architect’s drawings show 120 mm boards but his spec says 150 mm.
OK that's poor specifying by the designer. He's probably just cut and pasted his last job and not properly checked things.

Typically the drawing is referred to by the builders, rather than any separate text document. So strictly whilst a contractor should check and cross reference all documents and clarify errors and omissions, it's common and understandable for just the drawing to be followed.

Perhaps you now need to check confirm that all documents contain the same details.

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
120mm (currently) is the more realistic figure.
It's an architects 'oath' to ensure the build is carried out as economically efficiently as possible. If 120mm cuts the mustard....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local