Are These MCB's still available?

AL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of fitting an electric shower, i was going to buy all the bits i needed so i checked my consumer unit and i need an extra 45A MCB for the showers dedicated circuit.

Now this is the problem, my consumer unit is i guess pretty old, it appear to have a couple of bus bars running across the unit and screws going into these bars to attach the MCB's.

The MCB's are short stubby type jobbies with exposed metal contacts on the outside of the MCB one higher than the other? Kinda hard to explain, does anyone know what i'm on about? What are these called? Are theywhat is refered to as the old sentry type? as i did notice you can get a kit to allow the fitment of modern MCB's in older CU's? Any help appeciated.

TIA

AL

Sponsored Links
Any names on the MCB or even take a picture

I had to send my digi cam back to be fixed. I think the Cunsumer unit is manufactured by CK? not calvin klein i guess :)

i guess if i can't get any of these ancient MCB's i could always install a second dedicated Consumer unit for the shower? Seen one in screwfix 50A MCB plus 30mA RCD for about £40. Though the shower manual states that a 40/45A MCB be used. is 50A going to be too high, it's for a 9.5 Kw shower, i got the big chunckyfied 10mm cable and a 50A isolator pull cord switch.

Sponsored Links
AL said:
i guess if i can't get any of these ancient MCB's i could always install a second dedicated Consumer unit for the shower? Seen one in screwfix 50A MCB plus 30mA RCD for about £40. Though the shower manual states that a 40/45A MCB be used. is 50A going to be too high, it's for a 9.5 Kw shower, i got the big chunckyfied 10mm cable and a 50A isolator pull cord switch.

sounds like the old MK sentury unit, you cant buy the mcbs anymore, i wouldent bother tryin to get an mcb to fit or a retrofit kit, better off with a separate unit

AR

so do you think that 50A dedicated shower CU will be okay even though the shower manual states 40-45A?

AL said:
so do you think that 50A dedicated shower CU will be okay even though the shower manual states 40-45A?
take the 50amp out and put in a 45, its only a separate mcb easly changed>

AR

i've found an alternate supplier for a 40A one and is cheaper too!

So i think i'm all sorted now. Another question, what cable do i need to use to wire up this new Consumer unit. Bearing in mind it's a dedicated shower one, supplying only 1 load, could i use the 10mm stuff to come from the existing consumer unit or do i need to use that super humongous size stuff like what supplies the main 100A consumer unit?

The max current that could ever be drawn would be <40A else the MCB would trip.

Thanks muchly

AL

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back