Area of concrete? plaster crumbled in bathroom, want to DIM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've chipped off a 1 1/2 by 5 foot area of loose plaster in my bathroom. Looks like a rip from ceiling to 1/4 from the floor. Plaster is probably around 100 years old, is sand coloured and has some black specks, wall is old red bricks.

Hopefully it was steam from the shower which got in through some loose wallpaper, but it could also be from the flat roof of the extension which is now next to the wall. Again the area touches the hole for the stink pipe so this could also be a factor.

Can't afford to get someone so will try myself:cool: doesn't need to be perfect... Question is which plaster should I use? DIY book says concrete based plaster for areas prone to dampness? Can't figure whats what from product descriptions, for example what does mechanical key refer to?

Thanks

Alex

Sponsored Links
use a renovating plaster in the 'thistle' range, these thistle products are made by British Gypsum. you can then skim using thistle multi finish.

Thanks, Thistle Dri Coat is the cement based one I can buy, there's also Thistle Browning and Thistle Bonding Coat. The Dri Coat is the one is it?

I already have some SupaMix One Coat. Ok to use this instead of the Thistle Multi Finish? Some waterproof paint will cover it..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back