Artex - cost of removal or painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am considering buying a house which has got Artex in it. It was built in 1973 so it is very likely containing asbestos.
I learnt that I could either paint or remove it. I am unsure what is best for my health (cost does not matter). Some says that removing it is more dangerous than just painting it.
Anyway, there is artex on all the ceiling (80 square meter).

How much do you think it will cost to either remove it and redecorate or to palster+paint on it (by professionals)?

Many thanks for your advice and comments in advance,
MM

Sponsored Links
Get a couple of prices for overboarding it's less mess and its extra fire protection. The cost depends on a number of things.

jbonding said:
Get a couple of prices for overboarding it's less mess and its extra fire protection. The cost depends on a number of things.

Thanks!
Can you give any ball park figure?
Are we talking about £2K to £5K or £10K or more? I really have no idea at all about cost here and would like not to be ripped off. A big cost would actually put me off the property in the first place.

Many thanks,
MM

It shouldnt cost more than £2k could get cheaper if you supplied materials its only boards and finish, screws and fibre tape.

Sponsored Links
What about skimming?...a lot of people here have that done...can take a few coats though, but an option if your ceilings are quite low already.

You could remove it..using a steam stripper no problem with fine dust then, it is harmfull but its not like the blue/ brown asbestos

But then what state could the ceilings be in below...you may need to line them or have them skimmed anyway

Whats the problem using x-tex eco solutions Artex remover. You don't have to sand or scrape it of just paint over the artex & when its softened any asbestos is encapsulated inside the x-tex solution . :)

Whats the problem using x-tex eco solutions Artex remover. You don't have to sand or scrape it of just paint over the artex & when its softened any asbestos is encapsulated inside the x-tex solution . :)

boats said:

Right, I did not know this product.
You mean this one:
http://www.greenshop.co.uk/acatalog...enshop_online_Home_Strip_110.html&CatalogBody
don't you?
I am keen to get this done by a professional and that is a solution that does not seem too expensive.

Thanks for the info!

Zampa said:
What about skimming?...a lot of people here have that done...can take a few coats though, but an option if your ceilings are quite low already.
Yes the ceilings are not high. They are probably 2.4 m high.

Zampa said:
You could remove it..using a steam stripper no problem with fine dust then, it is harmfull but its not like the blue/ brown asbestos
I thought it was illegal to remove it myself, am I wrong?

Zampa said:
But then what state could the ceilings be in below...you may need to line them or have them skimmed anyway

I like the skimming solution even if it takes a few coats. It should be safe and the house resellable without too much trouble - hopefully -.
The "remove it all" solution is very appealing though because it is the "do it once and forget about it" solution.

Time to call the painter I guess and with your tips I will understand a bit better his jargon.

Thanks a lot!

I have a small hallway that needs the artex removed. Does the xtex stuff leave a surface I can paint straight on to?

Hope I'm allowed to hijack the thread. Didn't see the point in starting a new one.

It doesn,t really ...after its removed it normally leaves the ceiling in a right mess often needing papering over.

It all depends on what the ceiling is made of and the methods you use to remove it

I had artex all over the house, scraped it down well, pva watered down, 2 coats, then skimmed, seemed to do the trick!

Why do people put in artex, I think it loks so awful unless done well! Nightmare to paint as well, cant use a roller!

Sorry, know not really folllowing on but felt the need to tell people!

When artexing is done correctly it is some of the most artistic effects i have ever seen. On the other hand when it aint done corrctly then it is dreadfull. I try advice people to only artex in a comb effect in there living room cieling. Where artex has gone wrong is when used on walls and applied tooooo thickly. Also, artex makers are there own enemies cos they recomend that artex "covers cracks" therefore misleading the public making them think "it will fix the crack problem", cos "covers cracks" does not mean "fixes cracks" etc........................

I am sure it can look lovely, but, they had obviously slapped it on with no design in mind and just used it to cover up the problems in the plaster! But then again in the house I bought the owners had used wallpaper to cover up crumbling plaster, nice!

After my experience I would never buy a house with artex in again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back