Artex......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of buying a two bedroom terraced house about 100 yrs old. Lots of the walls have been artexed which I plan to remove. I will have the walls skimmed but to save expense I am planning to get the walls back to the brick with help from friends. Is this feasible using breakers hired from the local merchants. I was told not to plaster on top of the artexing as it would be level or over the level of skirting, arcitraving and picture rails which I want to retain. :D

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Cartboy52 said:
Be careful when removing artex. Older stuff tends to have asbestos in it!

Tiny amounts that aren't as dangerous as fag smoke,

as i understand it, unlike fag smoke, asbestos fibres are not as easily exhaled as they are inhaled.

there construction is such, that the fibres are slightly barbed and it is this 'hook' that attaches itself to the lung lining wall. they then manifest into disease.

probably.

noseall - spot on and if you destroy the artex (break it up or abrade it) then you release the fibres

steam strippers do work (heavy duty type rather than DIY) and they have the added advantage that there is no dust to speak of

joe-90 - great advice - you might want to meet the bloke I used to work with - oops, sorry you can't he died of asbestos related lung cancer three years ago!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back