Asda - their bogofs are bogging off...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Asda say they are cutting "gimmicky" offers to instead tempt shoppers with real discounts.

What I don't get is that the manufacturers shell out for these bogof deals, not the retailer.....

So why will Asda be in a better financial position if they drop them?

Sponsored Links
securespark, they make thier profits up on other items instead. The idea is to get you instore to buy the BOGOF's and whilst you are there you pick up a load of other stuff that they have a higher profit margin on. Some products are known as 'loss leaders' for the very reason that they make the store a loss in profits (selling for less than they buy) but they lead the customer to other higher priced products that make them a massive profit :rolleyes:

Personally, I think they will make more money in the long term by just having cheaper prices across the store. Not everyone wants or has room for a load of BOGOF's or Buy seven get five free's ..... :rolleyes: ;) :LOL:

YER BUY ONE YER GOT FREE-----YER BUY ONE YER GET ONE FREE...

Dunt he flog windows...... :LOL:

Some bogofs make sense - wine, food etc, you might eat or drink a bit more, or buy something you wouldn't usually buy.

But you see them on loo paper, for example. What are you going to do - go to the toilet more often?

[victormeldrewmode]And it makes my blood boil when I find that they've sold out of something I need because they've stimulated demand by putting it on offer but not had the brains to lay in extra supply. :evil:[/victormeldrewmode]

Sponsored Links
I had the good luck to have been tipped off about a bogoff offer on certain packs of biscuits some time back i ended up with 4 packs free and they even paid me 2p to take them away! :D

kendor said:
I had the good luck to have been tipped off about a bogoff offer on certain packs of biscuits some time back i ended up with 4 packs free and they even paid me 2p to take them away! :D

sainsburies ;)

what about 'oops' or is that 'whoops' they getting rid of those too?....please say no...I couldnt bear it....my mother wouldnt let us hear the end of it!

ban-all-sheds said:
Some bogofs make sense - wine, food etc, you might eat or drink a bit more, or buy something you wouldn't usually buy.

But you see them on loo paper, for example. What are you going to do - go to the toilet more often?

Eh? Assuming one has the storage space then one just puts off the next toilet paper purchase? Should be called bogoffs really.

I know many here do not like supermarkets.
However, my children get to sample a lot more variety of foods than perhaps would be the case because we can make savings there.
I like the bogof where you can freeze the product, it can save a lot when you have a family.

There yougo BAS,
Toffe has solved you're problem when you get all those free curries ,store the free toilet rolls in the freezer :)

Brightness said:
securespark, they make thier profits up on other items instead.

Yes, indeed. So will getting rid of bogofs cut their sales?

Some products are known as 'loss leaders' for the very reason that they make the store a loss in profits (selling for less than they buy) but they lead the customer to other higher priced products that make them a massive profit

So I still say, Why will getting rid of bogofs (which the retailers don't pay for anyway) help Asda save money?

I'm baffled.

keyplayer said:
ban-all-sheds said:

Eh? Assuming one has the storage space then one just puts off the next toilet paper purchase? Should be called bogoffs really.
Indeed.

The point I'm trying to make is that bogoffs don't generate increased consumption, whereas on wine & food, they might do.

ban-all-sheds said:
keyplayer said:
ban-all-sheds said:

Indeed.

The point I'm trying to make is that bogoffs don't generate increased consumption, whereas on wine & food, they might do.

I do apologise - I read your post from the consumers point of view rather than that of the retailer. I see your point now.

securespark said:
Brightness said:
securespark, they make thier profits up on other items instead.

Yes, indeed. So will getting rid of bogofs cut their sales?

Some products are known as 'loss leaders' for the very reason that they make the store a loss in profits (selling for less than they buy) but they lead the customer to other higher priced products that make them a massive profit

So I still say, Why will getting rid of bogofs (which the retailers don't pay for anyway) help Asda save money?

I'm baffled.

Because if they cut all their prices to less than that of their competitors then they are hoping that human nature will make people go there. Tbh, it most probably will as lots of people just want the best food they can get for the least price possible and aren't interested in BOGOFs.

They will probably make more money in the long run and the consumer will save more too :)

BOGOFS are used to attract customers into the store.

However if you go shopping with the intention of buying for instance 2 bottles of coke, becasue its BOGOF you will lose the profit you stood to make on the second bottle, so their is a slight profit loss on the purchase.
Now i know that new customers may be attracted to the store because of the BOGOFS but in my opinion alot of these customers purely come into buy these BOGOFS and still do their main shop with their original supermarket.
The theory is with the reduced prices is that it will attract a permanent increase in the customer base

Sponsored Links
Back