Attaching isolator to metal casing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guy's

Had a recent issue with a customer who had an electrician add some points. He commented that the air con we fitted had the isolator fitted to the side of the metal casing. He said this was outside the Reg's

dsc01364yl5.jpg

I didn't argue -especially as it looked sloppy anyway so I got it moved to the wall and tidied up- but I can't seem to a definite answer to this Esp. as it's common practice to do attach it this way.

Any idea's?

Cheers

Richard

Sponsored Links
IMO it will depend on the aircon unit. If it is a class 2 item (double insulated) then you compromise the safety aspect by attaching an earthed item to the unearthed casing.

If the aircon is class 1 (earthed casing) then i do not see an issue PROVIDED the metal casing is properly bonded to the earth in the isolator.

Maybe leared aircon men know more specifics??

TTC

I see it done like this all the time, and I can't see a real issue. I would prefer to see it on a wall.

The cable it that pic is what would catch my attention - not the fact the isolator is on the unit.

other thing is,

Great, "air con man" can isolate to to change air con unit, Ah, can't change aircon unit, there is an isolator screwed to it.

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
Great, "air con man" can isolate to to change air con unit, Ah, can't change aircon unit, there is an isolator screwed to it.
Changing an air con box is a pretty big job anyway, probably involve 2 guys, maybe lifting equipment, they'd probably have a few breaker lock-offs between them ;) :LOL:

They do everything they can not to change the whole unit. Very reliable things anyway.

Crafty said:
breezer said:
Changing an air con box is a pretty big job anyway, probably involve 2 guys, maybe lifting equipment, they'd probably have a few breaker lock-offs between them ;) :LOL:

They do everything they can not to change the whole unit. Very reliable things anyway.

Removing the isolator took all of 2 minutes -So I really wouldn't think that's an issue.. The c/b is about 3 metres away so isolation isn't a problem either.

BTW Actually changing can be quicker and better than certain component change. Two men could swap this one out in less than hour and a half easy

Cheers

Richard

we did them like that all the time when doing shop refits. very common.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back