Attaching stuff to the lighting ring? (Apart from lights)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was up in the loft the other day and noticed that the extractor fan in my bathroom is actually connected to the lighting ring. Further investigation shows it going via a fuse outlet unit in the bathroom, is it ok to run this off the lighting ring?

This leads to my next question. The previous owner of my house installed an alarm and also has powered this off the lighting ring, is this safe?

I want to replace this alarm but wonder if I can re-use the power supply form the old unit?

Cheers

Rich

Sponsored Links
fans are usually wired from the lights.

alarms are normally on a ring or on their on radial

firstly lighting cuircuits are not normally rings

there is nothing unsafe about putting low load items other than lights on lighting cuircuits though you do have to consider that the B6 on a typical modern lighting cuircuit is rather prone to tripping (especially when you are considering alarms).

most people frown on putting 13A sockets on lighting cuircuits though i have done it myself and its not explicitly prohibited.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back