Auto Express Tyre Test

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this should really go in cars, but want a wider audience.

I have the tyre test results for 2006. Have they done their 2007 test yet? If so, which tyre is the overall winner this year?

Looking for an alternative to my Michelin Pilot HX MXM's. Last time they were changed they were £84 each fitted.

Size is 205/55/ZR16/91W.

Sponsored Links
There's a Feb 2007 "Which" report online.

Pilots as ever very good and in the Best Buy range was the Pilot Sport PS 2 (225/45 R17 Y)

Goodyear Eagle 1 not in the Best Buys.

It's an enormous report.

The nearest size to yours they tested was 205/55R16V

I quite like the AVON ZZ3 tyres, lot quieter than pirelli's. Got a pair of them at the right price too :D

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
I know this should really go in cars, :rolleyes:
Size is-- /55/ZR16--
that`s why they`re expensive ...total Bo-lox :LOL: low profile...high speed rating....in a land of cart trax and 70mph motorways and Gasto`s :rolleyes: ...apologies if you go abroad on Der Autobannen.K.D.F. ;)

The 55 is the aspect ratio between the tyre width and the side wall, not really a low profile. W is a high speed rating though.

securespark said:
Looking for an alternative to my Michelin Pilot HX MXM's. Last time they were changed they were £84 each fitted.

Size is 205/55/ZR16/91W.
ITS only a Skoda!!! FFS!!! :LOL:

Those tyres were the ones factory fitted and last time I changed them I got the same.

However, AE puts Mich close to the bottom of their test league & Vredestein at the top. Plus they're cheaper.

I finally plumped for Vredestein Hi-trac (an H rated tyre - the CC can only do 119 tops anyhoo).

Price quoted was 67.48 each from Selecta Tyre.

When I got there, their computer said yes, but the shelf said no, so I was offered the more expensive Ultrac tyre for the same money.

So, I got the car shod for 270. The Mich's last time cost 340. If I'd gone for Mich's this time, it would have been 364. However, National wanted 120 a corner for Mich's..... :eek:

However, if I'd wanted cheap tyres, I could have had these:

http://ssl.delti.com/mytires/start.html

BTW, anyone heard of LingLong??

What is wrong with second hand, or the cheaper end of the market ?done it all my life. some people go to far!

libby lou lou said:
What is wrong with second hand, or the cheaper end of the market ?done it all my life. some people go to far!

Well since your tyre is the only contact you have with the road, why go for just cheap, when the difference in price for a set is FAR less than even the smallest amount of damage repair to a car?

Go for Michelin everytime, they are the best no question,, doesn't mean you always have to pay full whack for them tho.. try ebay,
205/55vr16 is a much more popular fitment and will be cheaper.. If all you do is take the car to the supermarket once a week, by all means fit ling long ditchfinders.but if your doing enough miles to be changing all four every couple of years spend the bit extra they are better in so many ways..
avoid goodyears at all costs, at least one in every twenty we sell comes back as complaint..

oilman said:
libby lou lou said:
Well since your tyre is the only contact you have with the road, why go for just cheap, when the difference in price for a set is FAR less than even the smallest amount of damage repair to a car?
Because, when you don't have car insurance, it doesn't matter how bad your tyres are. ;)

Hi, The test is in this weeks auto express (19/09/2007) have not got my copy yet it is still in the post. Steve

Dragged up this topic as I'm looking for another tyre today.

I am forbidden to go into details ( ;) ), but I have in my hallway a wheel off the Chariot complete with totally shredded rubber...luckily the alloy escaped damage (visually at least, though I'll get it checked).

Let's just say the tyre has a jagged cut virtually all the way round the circumference on both sides. In places, it's big enough to stuff your fist in...

Apparently, according to the unnamed driver, there was a lot of noise from outside the car, initially thought to be the cat. giving up the ghost, then blamed on the fuel tank running low.

Only much later did catastrophic tyre failure spring to mind, despite the fact that the wheel in question was mounted on the front off side corner & gave the driver a hard time steering.

One other clue: the smell of burning rubber.

Anyhow enough ribbing the driver... ;)

I'm looking for the best price on a Vredestein Ultrac size as above... Maybe I'll try Selecta Tyre again, they seemed good.

Anybody else bought Vredestein recently?

Sponsored Links
Back