AVG Free

P

Peter Mac

Does anyone know how to set to AVG scan all incoming/outgoing mail via gmail or mozilla thunderbird? Since the Email scan is included in the control center I would like to make use of it....!!

Thanks very much

Peter

Sponsored Links
I don't believe that the free edition has the ability that you're looking for.

Have you asked Grisoft? If not, is there a reason why you haven't?

Softus said:
I don't believe that the free edition has the ability that you're looking for.

it does it if you have outlook express (i've got it)

Sponsored Links
I have been using AVG for many years, although it will not work with outlook express. I get errors & emails will not work. On the home page (Test Centre), go to 'control panel', is the email option on or off. I think the only way to reset it is to uninstall, then reinstall & select or deselect as required.

It is not correct to say that AVG will not work with OE. I've seen it work, and I've seen it fail to work. The product is good, but not perfect, especially the free edition.

AVG works, when it wants to, with both Eudora and OE, by design. The same isn't true of every other POP3 client on the planet.

The link that empip kindly provided yields the following information for Gmail:

[code:1]Here are the settings that work for Outlook Express 6 to scan and certify GMail, both incoming and outgoing:

In AVG EMail Scanner, create a Fixed Host POP3 server pointed to pop.gmail.com. Use port 995. Set connection type to "secure to dedicated port (TLS)" check the box "activate this port and use it for sending/receiving mail." DO NOT check "use APOP when available."

Do the same with SMTP, using port 587 or 465 (either is a valid port for gmail), except set the connection type to "secure to regular port (STARTTLS)".

In Outlook Express, set both POP3 and SMTP servers to 127.0.0.1, (NOT ***.gmail.com). Assign the POP3 port number as 995, and the SMTP port nunber to 587 or 465. DO NOT check "This server requires a secure connection (SSL)" on the advanced tab. If you have these checked and uncheck them, it will reset your SMTP to 25 and your POP to 110, so remember to type in the correct port numbers after you uncheck the SSL boxes.

On the Servers tab, DO NOT check "Log on using secure password authentication." DO check "My Server requires authentication" and in the "settings" button for that panel make sure that the radio button for "Use same settings as my incoming mail server" is checked.

Make sure you click "apply" on each window before backing out.[/code:1]

empip - I'm not happy with what you're implying about the welcome here. The post was answered, and with questions soliciting more information so that help could be given. If you don't like it, then you know what to do, and it involves everyone's favourite pastimes of sex and travel.

You are not happy?

My deepest apologies .....

;)

Well, an apology is not quite what I had in mind, but thank you. It would be much better if you didn't dish the forum in the first place.

You are very welcome Softus, info hereabouts costs nothing, neither does civility.

Apparently Grisoft provide no tech' support for the 'Free editon' .
Technical Support is available for REGISTERED USERS of AVG commercial editions only.
Apart from a User Manual and Reference Guide from here :-
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/Documentation/lng/us/tpl/v5

Well worth a good read starting with the Reference Guide.
;)

Don't ya just luv happy endings...

happy_face_love_in_eyes_lg_clr.gif

kendor said:
works fine with Outlook not sure about express.

as i said it does work with OE, & O as i have / use both on the same pc (dont ask why)

Sponsored Links
Back