[b]Consumer Unit problem with oven housing[/b]

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Could do with some real help here please. Although I've done a lot of
electrical work, I am not a professional.

Anyway, my problem is; after installing a new oven unit (we have gas hob) the MCB keeps tripping out, although I have used the oven from (arhem) a plug for a short time. It's a 2.3 Kw oven. Yes, I know you guys will tell me off.

It's a new building with a seven-way, split circuit RCD unit.

2 light circuits with B6 6 B06 MCB's
1 smoke alarm with B6 6/B06 MCB
1 spare

Then the RCCB split load Switch

Then
2 power socket B32 61/32 MCB's
1 water heater B16 6B16 MCB

All installed by a professional.

Now, as I hadn't got a free circuit for the oven unit I moved the water
heater MCB and placed it next to the lighting MCB's.
Then, inserted a B32 61/B32 MCB next to the power MCB's for the oven.

But after carefully checking everything over and over again, the MCB keeps tripping out.
Any ideas please? I have re-tested and re-connected it to a plug. So no problem with the cooker

Can I move the MCB OR do I require a new consumer unit? :(
Many thanks
Pete

Sponsored Links
The oven is rated at 2300 watts, divide that by 230Volt (i.e. formula is WATTS divided by VOLTS equals AMPS)...gets you Ten amps, so it should run on a 13amp plug safely - perhaps there is a fault in your appliance.

Hi, thanks.

Yea, the oven has been running on a 13amp plug quite safely (tested it with a neon electrical srewdriver).

Can I change the MCBs fronm ones side of the RCCD trip switch?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
but you said it is the MCB that trips not the rcd. Put the water heater MCB BACK WHERE IT WAS (That was the worst thing to do)

I would have no objections to running the oven via a plug, so long as it is a good brand of plug

As it worked while plugged in, and all was well it proves the oven is ok. Why not put in an extra socket and plug the oven in that (preferably extend the ring as opposed to a spur)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back