[b]Help please, Cooker wiring safety[/b]

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help. I am about to be given a lovely new cooker, however, it requires 30 amps and the supply on the cooker curcuit of my consumer unit is only designed for a 15 amp fuse. Does this mean I can simply change the fuse, or will it require rewiring?
The supply goes through a red cooker switch in the kitchen if this helps, this appears to go to a three pin socket in the cooker space as well as a blanking plate.

Thankyou

Sponsored Links
Changing the the fuse is NOT an option until other safey check have been carried out.

The fuse is there to protect the cable from being overloaded. Overloaded cable get hot and are then a danger.

You will need to have the cable looked at to see if it is capable of safely carrying the 30 amp load of the cooker. If it is then and only then can you have the fuse changed.

The consumer unit ( fuse box ) will also have to be checked to ensure it can safely supply the extra current.

you mention a 15Amp fuse. This suggests your consumer unit/fusebox is very old. You will almost certainly need a new cooker circuit, and possibly a new consumer unit as well. It is possible to fit a small unit just for the cooker. However this will need to be done by an electrician who is a member of a self-certification scheme, it is not a handyman job.

I presume you currently have a gas cooker, or a small Baby Belling type cooker?

If the meter and existing consumer unit are adjacent to the kitchen it may not be a very big job.

Thanks, but I find it strange as the house is only about 15 years old. If it possible to measure the cable to see if it can take the load? If so what size should it be for 30 amp?

Cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back