Bad paint surface

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please Help!! I have recently stripped the wallpaper in my house and underneath was painted plasterboard. The problem is, a lot of the paint came off with the paper, leaving a very poor surface underneath. I am planning on painting my walls but I'm unsure of how to make good the surface. I've tried sanding but the plasterboard starts to wear away.

Can anyone offer me some advice to get a smooth surface. I'd like to avoid the cost of skimming if possible.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Have you considered lining it to even out the surface?

Lining would be the way to go, but you would still need to get the plasterboard quite smooth, and the thing with plasterboard is that when you sand, no matter how lightly, it will still tear and rip.
So you if you dont want to skim, then the other option is prep and hard graft to get it smooth as possible.

I have come across this a few times, and this is what I have done and it works.

Try again, just lightly sand it, then get some diluted PVA and brush over the bits that are still roughish, or the tear bits
This will stop the paper on the plasterboard from tearing, ripping or furring up anymore.

Then get some powder filler, and smooth over the jagged/torn bits, when dry, lightly sand, till you cant feel any rough or torn bits.
Again dab some diluted PVA on the filled bits, then if it looks good enough to paint, then paint, if not, line with Lining paper.

If you are going to paint, the do a coat of diluted emulsion paint first, then do your proper coats.
If your going to line, then apply a watery solution of paste the night before your going to line.

Like I said its hard work, but it can be done, but depends on how much time and hard work your prepared to put on it.

If you think its too much, then your best bet is to skim.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for the advice - it looks like I've got my work cut out!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back