Bad smell in kitchen after the shower has been used

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When someone takes a shower upstairs, we get a really strong 'egg' type sewer smell in the kitchen. All the waste pipes (except the stack) exit into the same outside drain. The waste pipes for the washing machine/dishwasher dont currently have p-traps fitted. Therefore I thought that the smell was rising through the un-trapped w/m and d/w waste pipes and into the kitchen.

However, last night as someone taking a shower sure enough the smell returned, so I went outside to see if the drain had the same smell. It didn't smell at all but the kitchen still smelt awful.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
get those traps on and re-post if thres still a pong ;)

are you sure that the smell is related to the waste water

this smell can also be attributed to an electrical fault

your consumer unit may have a loose connection which is burning up when the shower is on

Hi,

Just been trawling the web for a solution to a problem i have and see that you posted exactly the same issue couple of years back.. did you ever get to the bottom of it? what was the solution? I didn't see many helpful responses on the forum, hoping you found an answer elsewhere : ) Many thanks in advance!

Nikki Johnson

Sponsored Links
The original posters problem was probably sorted by actually doing the job correctly and having traps where they need to be,otherwise the smell from the sewers can come out into your home

What is he exact problem you are having,are all traps clear and full of water and there is no leaks especially around a shower tray,?This causes a horrible damp smell which could be what you are experiencing

We will need a little bit more information before we can try and work out whats going on exactly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back