Badly applied Osmo hardwax oil (much help needed)

ABN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From experiments on offcuts with Osmo hardwax oil I found that in oder to get an even sheen I had to apply it quite thickly, then the next day "buff" with 000 grade steel wool then repeat 2 or three times until it looks good.

All well and good until I tried doing it on the floor, much larger area I suppose. Anyway to cut a long story short I applied it very thickly with a cloth.
Due to other things happening I've not been able to steel wool it until now which is about 2 weeks since it was applied.
The wax is very uneven with thick brush marks in places and large blobs in others. The finish is so hard that the 000 grage steel wool is having little to no effect on those marks.
Is there any "easy" way to remedy this problem without having to try to strip it all off and start again.?
If I do have to strip it off whats the best way to attack it?

Sponsored Links
Oh dear ABN, you've should have read the instructions better:

Apply waxoil in very thin layers with a brush, roller (short pile) spatula or a power operated brush (beige pad), always in the directions of the wood grain.
Polish immediately with a power operated brush with white pad. This will make the appearance of your parquet even.
Wait 6 to 8 hours before applying the second layer in the same way as the fist one.
(By lack of power operated brush you can use a non-fluffy cloth and elbow grease;))
You can never get a good result when you wait so long to apply the second layer or when you apply a thick layer. Thick layer means the oil will penetrate the floor, but the thick remaining wax layer will be to much to handle afterwards (specially when you wait to long).

I'm afraid you'll have to clean the floor completely with white spirit (try a small area first). Bad luck m8

Thanks for the reply even if its not what I wanted to hear :(

Supose that the problem with letting paint/varnish ppl loose with different products, still try to use the same method instead of the correct one.
Seems a very alien way of working as it appears to mean that you have to go on the "wet" wax to buff it whereas you would stay away from varnish as long as poss.

Will start to attack it with white spirit in a couple of days.

P.S. the floor does appear to have stopped poping. in places at least, so must have settled in as you sugested or has now become so oily that its sliding on itself :D

Uh oh... I've had a similar (though not as bad) problem in that the finish with the hardwax oil is 'uneven'; glossy in some places and easily leaves white scratch marks. I assume that it's too thick in these places? I did try to work it in well but it seems not too have worked.
Anyway I've rubbed an area down with a fine abrasive pad and it's evened it out, but of course it's now quite dulled. Is it best to try again with more hardwax oil or would the wax cleaner product give an even finish?

Sponsored Links
Try hard wax or waxpolish (maintenance porducts) first. Won't hurt and might do the trick (did with us)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back