banging sound from boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have a 25 year old back boiler central heating system. any time we turn down the thermostat, say below 20 degrees, quite a loud banging sound comes from behind the fire...why is this?

Sponsored Links
Because it's boiling because the heat can't get out. Turn the boiler thermostat down - if that doesn't help you need a new thermostat, but sludge is a feature of your system, from the other posts (which would have been better kept together!

yeah, soryy about that...just thought there maybe a better chance of getting replies if i aked each one seperately, but what do i know...i'm new here. anyways, thanks for the speedy response to my quries...much appreciated. am i right in thinking getting your ch system cleaned out costs around £400-500?

Sponsored Links
It can - say £250 upwards depending... But your system and boiler is OLD and it would give then a hard time. Taking the rads off for a jetting in the garden would be free and more appropriate imho. Then some inhibitor to hold things until the boiler gets changed. As I say - others will suggest alternatives.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back