banging washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

i've got a indesit w131 washing machine that makes a very slight banging noise while in normal use but a very loud banging noise while on spin mode.

i did a search on here so have checked a few things:-

. took back cover off and drum was not banging on side of machine on spin cycle

. if i reach inside the drum and put 1 hand in the middle at the top and 1 at the middle at the bottom i can move it slightly up & down. if i push it up and down from the front of the silver drum i can rock it up and down a fair bit . it doesn't make a banging noise if i spin it by hand

. the top counter weight is bolted securely

. the filter had a vey small amount of grey gunk in it

the banging noise seems to be coming from between the 2 drums. is it an easy job to check between the 2 drums? the machine is about 5 years old so if it is uneconimical to repair i will have to get a new one

thanks for any help :)

Sponsored Links
sounds lie there is a coin stuck in between the two drums.

unplug mc and remove water pipes put it on its back 9i assume the pump is at the back) now put it upright and remove pipe that goes to pump, you should get a coin for your trouble

You also need to check the front concrete weight for play as they sometimes work loose. When checking for failed bearings you need to hold the inside edge of the door seal with one hand and try to lift the front edge of the inner drum with the other. If there is more that a couple of mm movement you have a problem. I think your model has the bearings fitted to an externally mounted housing so it does not require a total strip down to renew them. Another possibility is a cracked arm on the drum spider.

thanks for the info.

the machine has just took a turn for the worse lol.

my wife just took some clothes out the machine and the machine was banging REALLY loud while in the spin cycle. the clothes had a 'burnt' smell to them.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the info.

the machine has just took a turn for the worse lol.

my wife just took some clothes out the machine and the machine was banging REALLY loud while in the spin cycle. the clothes had a 'burnt' smell to them.

Hi did you ever find out the fault as ours has same problem thx Phil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back