banging when toilet is flushed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please I need help, when i flush the toilet in my en-suite the banging noise from the pipes can be heard all over the house. It even seems to travel through the walls behind the shower. The water in the ensuite is fed from the mains not the tank in the attic. The toilet and sink in the bathroom is fed from the tank in the attic and there is no problems there It is driving me bonkers, it sound like the house is going to fall down some days it is that bad. There is a valve for turning the water supply to the toilet off located on the pipe to the toilet, but this just seems to slow the flow of water

Sponsored Links
What you have is known as water hammer and is caused by loose pipework, high pressure and sharp bends in the pipework.
As Kev suggests renewing or repairing a balltap can often remedy this especially if it has just started happening after a long period of not happening.

where is that located and what should i do to it

It's in the cistern but if you didn't know where to look for it I suggest you get a plumber to fix it

Sponsored Links
Normally in the loft, attached to the tank feeding your cold supplys to your bathroom and probably your cylinder.
Assuming you have one of course. :LOL:

Check your loft and see if you have 2 tanks. If 2 , the larger one's ball valve will need attention / renewing :D

The water in the ensuite is fed from the mains not the tank in the attic. The toilet and sink in the bathroom is fed from the tank in the attic and there is no problems there

repeat three times

i must read the post first :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

What type of ball-valve do you have?
Metal or plastic?

If diaphragm (plastic)type ball valve, may just be in need of new diapragm or clean old one. Just turn off supply. Undo large knurled retaining nut (at end of float arm) by hand and float arm will come off. Take black diaphragm out with small screwdriver. Clean inlet pipe of any dirt. Can open water supply slightly for few seconds to flush out any grit in inlet pipe. Put new diaphragm in with rim inwards. Refit nut, turn on water.

If portsmouth, equilibrium or servo type ball valve slightly different.

Let us know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back