bare patches on lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I notice I have a number of small, bare patches on my lawn and was wondering what sould happen if I threw some seed on them. I know it's the wrong time of year, but would any seed actually grow. It's very damp outside and not particularly cold (expect occasional frost.) If not now, when would be a good time- march/april? I do recall seeing some seed at my local DIY centre, which claimed to be growable in any condition ( must be genetically modified or something.) Is this a false claim, or do these weird varieties actually work?

worst that can happen- the birds will eat it all!

Sponsored Links
seneca said:
I know it's the wrong time of year, but would any seed actually grow.
No. Not until the night-time temperature increases again.

If you were desperate to steal a march on, er, March, then you could always propagate the seed (i.e. grow under cover) and then lay it as turf when the weather is ready, but this really isn't necessary 'cos when the weather is right the grass will grow faster than you want it to.

seneca said:
I notice I have a number of small, bare patches on my lawn !

just be sure it's not fusarium patch mould that's killing the grass. quite common at this time of the year.

Sponsored Links
noseall said:
just be sure it's not fusarium patch mould that's killing the grass. quite common at this time of the year.

Anyone got more info on this?

I have a large ball patch on my lawn - at first it was just moss that took over from the grass, the moss was then picked away by a very industrious blackbird and I have now been left with a bald /patchy area of about 2 by 3 feet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back