Basement flat damp problems...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a one bedroom basement falt in London (built around 1900s) which has a couple of damp 'issues'.

The first, and most important, is that there is some damp in one of the bay windows. You can't actually see the damp, or smell or feel it, but it's there (we had a damp meter reading thing done which showed high levels of damp, and a very small section of plaster has blown). My question is; if I hack off the old plaster and get it injected, will this prevent the damp returning?

The second problem is that we have an external cupboard under the stairs which lead to the flats above. This is extremely damp. I'm guessing that there are cracks in the tiles on the stairs, and that this is what is causing the damp. Is it possible to 'seal' the tiles, or will I need to remove them and cover the stairs with something first? I'd like to use this cupboard for reasonably dry storage if possible.

I know next to nothing about these things and have tried getting someone out to look at it, but builders seem reluctant to even quote for what seems like a relatively small job!

Thanks in advance

Harry

Sponsored Links
Have you got a spare evening :?: Have a search for rising damp threads in the forum archives :eek: I don`t think you can do much about the understair cupd....sorry. I admire your honesty and not calling it a garden flat.....not a lot of people do that ;)

Apperently,exstrior brick has a moisture content,this might be what is showing on the meter reading,this might be exploited by a "dampproofing" company to convince you have a problem.I would have thought if it was a long standing problem ,you would have some physical evidence eg a musty smellor some mould or staining to the wall.
As a precaution I would check the window for any leaks ,the gutterfor any leaks anything on the out wall that may trap water.Just a thought it could even be condensation .
the "damp" in the stairs cubboard could be caused by a leak up stairs,abath or WC aleaking pipe maybe !

I think the OP is referring to outside stairs ..........steps........to ground floor of property........prob. large Vic./Edwardian conversion...that`s how I read it :confused:

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys.

I am talking about external stairs to the flats above, so no leaking pipes or anything. I did have a bloke come and have a look at them. He seemed to think it was rain water coming through the tiles and recommended removing them and covering the stairs with asphalt. Never sent the quote through though...

Thanks again.

Harry

Hi Harry

Did you get that problem sorted? I have the same problems any suggestions?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back