Basin waste hell help please(long winded)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
i've just installed anew bathroom suite but im having problems with the basin waste it seems the original(council install)waste pipe is supoose to be 32mm but its bigger than the new pipe i have and none of the fitingss will fit it says on the original pipe 1/4" 32mm but its thicker ive even tried 40mm fittings....could this be an old mesurement as the waste pipe is as old as the house(about 20yrs old)
another question i have is we have no soil pipes on the exterior of the house they are internal boxed in in the spare room and both the bath and basin waste pipes run along the wall in the bathroom into the seperate toilet and into the fall pipe boxed in as the basin and bath waste pipes run directly past the basin couldi cut into the bath waste pipe and use it for the basin waste.
the basin waste pipe ends a good few feet away form the basin and i dont fancy having to run to it as the hot and cold water pipes are ther as well could anybody advise me on which is the best way to solve this and what i would need......cheers for any help sorry for this being so long but im a total pluming newbi..
:)
thanks
Maximuss

Sponsored Links
i've just installed anew bathroom suite but im having problems with the basin waste it seems the original(council install)waste pipe is supoose to be 32mm but its bigger than the new pipe i have and none of the fitingss will fit it says on the original pipe 1/4" 32mm but its thicker ive even tried 40mm fittings....could this be an old mesurement as the waste pipe is as old as the house(about 20yrs old)
Use a compression coupler, they fit most things, You may have to cut the pipe "liner" out of some makes of fitting, not hard.

another question i have is we have no soil pipes on the exterior of the house they are internal boxed in in the spare room and both the bath and basin waste pipes run along the wall in the bathroom into the seperate toilet and into the fall pipe boxed in as the basin and bath waste pipes run directly past the basin couldi cut into the bath waste pipe and use it for the basin waste.
Er, probably - hard to understand with no punctuation! Put a Vented trap on the basin.

the basin waste pipe ends a good few feet away form the basin
That's gonna leak , then

and i dont fancy having to run to it as the hot and cold water pipes are ther as well could anybody advise me on which is the best way to solve this and what i would need......cheers for any help sorry for this being so long but im a total pluming newbi..
Now you've lost me

Hi chris
thanks for the help

sorry if i didnt make myself clear.

There a 2 pipes that run along the wall of the bathromm 1 is the waste pipe for the bath and above it runs the waste pipe for the basin, its short of where the basin and pedistal are the old conecters and pipe stuck out too far for me..im going to box the pipes in so i need the waste pipes flat to the wall as i can get them...

They then run thru a plaster board wall into the toilet which is in a separate room next door to te bathroom and then in to the wall where the soil pipes are....

Would it be possible to cut into the bath waste pipe and fit a tee then run the 32mm waste pipe for the basin into it as it runs directly past the basin and pedistal.Could i use a flexible pipe runing off the bottle trap..

What i ment about the hot and cold water pipes is that they are dricectly behined the pedistal and then brach off to the bath....

If its still not clear ill take some photos which may explain it better..

thanks for any more help and advise

Maximuss

It's better if each waste goes all the way to the stack but it's often not done that way. The danger is that the basin waste water might find it easier to come up out of the bath waste than go the right way, so if you can tee in downstream as far as possible, it would help.

The other danger is that a pipe full of water can suck the water out of a second trap, hence replace the basin trap with a "vented" one, which lets air in but not water out.

ok?

Sponsored Links
Yes that's it. Only a 32 will fit the basin. You can use up to 4ft of 32 from the trap. Then you need a reversed reducer . You can get them for compression or solvent, and pushfit I guess.
I don't think there's a 40mm Tee with a 32 branch in compression so you'd have to use a straight fitting to go to a piece of 40 pipe. In solvent weld you can just use a 32/40 bush (ring) in the tee branch.

ChrisR said:
I don't think there's a 40mm Tee with a 32 branch in compression
... McAlpine do a multifit reducer (T12M) that you can stick into a 40mm multifit tee (V1M).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back