Bath Gap!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just taken off the old plastic coving round the bath to replace it as it was old and needed freshing up. Now at the back of my bath there was always cut off tiles running parallel to the back of the bath and sealed round the edges of wall/bath. I always wondered why they were there but now I know. I removed all the tiles along the back ledge of the back to find they cover a gap between bath and tiled wall. I measured it as 1cm on the outside up to 2.5cm on the inside where the two tiled walls meet.

Does anyone have an idea what i should fill this with? There was some old wood there before but i expect it will be a bit of a mare to get the size right.

Any ideas gratefully received.

many Thanks again

Russell.

Sponsored Links
It's either the amount of ale I've consumed or that post ain't clear. Are we talking about a horizontally flat section from the end of the bath to the wall?

Russell:

I'm having the same problem understanding exactly where the gap is as Gcol is, but I fully appreciate that it can be difficult to explain problems to someone who's not there to see it with their own eyes.

Often, people will start tiling a wall above a tub by setting the very first tile right on the tub. That works fine until they realize that the tub isn't level and that front is higher than the back, or one side is lower than the other, or both where one corner is highest and the opposite one lowest.

Is the gap you're seeing caused by someone starting to tile horizontally at the highest point and then discovering that the top of the tub gets lower, but the bottom of the row of tiles he's set doesn't?

Alternatively, walls are not always straight, and the tub is not aways placed parallel to the surrounding walls. Is the gap you're describing caused by the walls not being parallel to the tub?

Hi,

Sorry yes I expect the wall at the back of the bath is not straight thus the back of the bath is not flush against the wall. Thus if you were standing in the bath looking at the back wall you will see a big gap between the end of the bath and the tiled wall. Now with the wall not being straight the gap is 1cm on the outside i.e. where one steps into the bath and 2.5cm on the inside edge.

I hope that makes it more clear.

Thanks

Russell.

Sponsored Links
OK, so if you were to somehow continue the tiled wall downward, it would actually go behind the tub, rather than hit the top of it, correct?

What about the bottom edge of the tiled wall at the back of the tub? Does the bottom edge of the tiling stop above, level with or actually below the top edge of the tub?

This is one of those situations where there's no correct way to fix a problem that shouldn't have been there in the first place, all you can do is find the most attractive and effective way to keep water out of that gap.

Yes I think your right a photo would be ideal and if I have a post again thats a bit difficult to explain I will use a digital camera.

The gap is as you describe in that you could keep tiling down the back wall and go down behind the back of the bath. So if you imagine having a shower on the back wall the water would **** down the gap between the bath and wall at the back.

Anyhow, to put this post to bed :) I have sorted the problem. I managed to get some cheap 1/4 width tiles from B@Q which fitted nicely over the gap. So They are all sealed in place with silicon and everything else has been sorted. No leaks observed :)

Cheers for help. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back