Bath/Shower Fan with Timer & Low Volage Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:?:
I have a problem with the shower light transformer. It has been connected as per the diagram, ie N and S/L, but after operating two or three times OK the Light transformer blows. Everything else still works fine. The Fan works OK, the timer etc, but not the 12V light? I have exchanged this transformer 3 times now. I had it all fitted by a qualified spark and he seems to think that the transformers are from a bad batch, has anyone out there any ideas? :?: :?:

Sponsored Links
What brand are they? If he believes they are a bad batch, why doesn't he fit a different brand? It would save him loads in re-visits all the time.

securespark said:
What brand are they? If he believes they are a bad batch, why doesn't he fit a different brand? It would save him loads in re-visits all the time.

They are ART Electronics Lighting Co, and the reason for not changing the brand is because it came in the kit from Wickes. Wickes have opened other kits to exchange the transformer, but the result is the same each time, works for a short while then blows.

It might be that switch off spike from the fan motor affecting the transformer. Would need a suppressor fitted if that is the case.

Or use a two pole switch one for fan and one for the light.

Sponsored Links
bernardgreen said:
It might be that switch off spike from the fan motor affecting the transformer. Would need a suppressor fitted if that is the case.

Or use a two pole switch one for fan and one for the light.

Thanks for that Bernard. I will mention that to the electrician when he calls me back.

Is it one of these fellars?

luminair_150.jpg

my dad has recently redone his bathroom and used the ceiling fan light combo from wickes, the tranny blew after a couple of days, he got a new one from wickes and it blew again, then when he was shopping elsewhere (dont know where off the top of my head) they had separate universal halogen trannies cheap enough so he bought one of them installed it and its been fine since (a few months).

ultimately you really have two choices, return the whole fitting and demand a refund or buy a seperate transformer of a different brand yourself.

given that you've presumablly already cut a hole in the ceiling that would be difficult to alter i'd do the latter, lighting transformers aren't that expensive.

i'd be tempted to use a proper torodial transformer rather than one of the normal "electronic transformers". They are a bit bulkier and more expensive but shouldn't be sensitive to spikes from the fan motor.

sm1thson said:
my dad has recently redone his bathroom and used the ceiling fan light combo from wickes, the tranny blew after a couple of days, he got a new one from wickes and it blew again, then when he was shopping elsewhere (dont know where off the top of my head) they had separate universal halogen trannies cheap enough so he bought one of them installed it and its been fine since (a few months).
I would be grateful if you could find out more information from your dad regarding where & how much? It sounds to me like he has the answer.

hi i am having almost the same problem but mine is waiting to pay a qualified electrician to do the work for me.

Silverpuma said:
I would be grateful if you could find out more information from your dad regarding where & how much? It sounds to me like he has the answer.
Ive emailed my old man to ask. but any one should do it the advice above about a none electronic one is also good as that will last forever.

The picture I posted is of a Vent Axia luminair fan / light unit.

The transformer for the Vent Axia ones will take a maximum lamp wattage of 20W

What size lamp have you fitted?
Can you see a rating for the lamp on the transformer unit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back