bathroom cabinet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a mahogany bathroom cabinet that I would like to lighten up. (It's only mahogany in colour, probably bought from a DIY store so I'm not sure what the wood is). I don't really want to paint it white or any other solid colour, does anyone have any suggestions?. I don't mind trying out some different paint techniques with it as if it all goes pear shaped I can always buy another one. :D
The starting point of all achievement is desire, weak desires bring weak results.

Sponsored Links
You can get some really snazzy effects using car aerosoles. First spay the item with a primer. If you use a couple of contrasting colours (say Deep Burgandy and Orange) you can "blend" from one, into the other. I used to use this technique when I made my own guitars, for the sunburst effect on the body. I liked it so much I gave my bedroom door pannels the same treatment, (but it was the early 70s).

If you go over the whole thing with a few coats of laquer afterwards, it gives it more depth, and also makes it more resilient.

Thanks for your advice Tex, those colours sound a bit radical! The house has a cottagy feel to it which I was hoping to maintain, but your idea is definitely food for thought :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back