Bathroom ceiling window condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bathroom has a ceiling window (nothing above it) that has a lot of condensation when it's cold, and drips inside. A builder checked it out as we initially thought there was a leak when it's raining, he said it's just condensation. Seems to be the case as the dripping does occur when it's cold and not raining. But it's very annoying so I was wondering what can be done to stop the dripping. The window does not open, there is a small separate fan (operates when light switched on) and no other windows just a door. Even if the door is open and we haven't showered yet etc there is still some dripping during cold weather. Any advice on some kind of insulation / treatment for the window would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Is it a flat or pitched roof? You could try secondary glazing or fitting a double glazed Velux type window.

It's flat, and there are a couple of inches space between the window and the bottom end of the concrete ceiling, with a wooden frame holding it in place (if that makes sense). I'm renting so was hoping for a solution that wouldn't involve major changes, maybe something I can paint over it or some other form of insulation?

Double glazing and ventilation is the answer, but if you don't want to spend much money, use a cheap plastic film system.

As winter approaches you should find them in the DIY shops. They are mostly a clear film that you attach to the frame with double-sided tape. It sticks best to clean, dry, recent paint. You may also find a rigid clear plastic sheet that will look better.

You need a tight seal to stop warm damp air from the bathroom getting into the gap, but if the outer window is slightly leaky this will allow ventilation of the space with dry air from outside (despite what you might think, outdoor air almost always holds less moisture than indoors air).

Running your extractor fan will also help

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I'll give it a go. I'm assuming that if I use a clear adhesive film applied directly to the window it will not work?

kkhalil76 said:
Thanks, I'll give it a go. I'm assuming that if I use a clear adhesive film applied directly to the window it will not work?
Unfortunately not!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back