Bathroom Extractor fan fitting question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to get an extractor fan fitted in the bathroom but I'm not sure who to contact or how much it’s likely to cost so looking for some advice.

Firstly any advice on which one to buy? Who should I contact to fit it an electrician, plumber, builder?

Any idea how much the whole thing is likely to cost?

Thanks in advance.

please note forum rule 9

Sponsored Links
I would get one with an integral shutter - this opens automatically when you switch the fan on and stops draughts coming in when the fan is off. You can get it wired to come on with the light or on a separate switch and some have adjustable over-run timers so they stay on for a while when you switch them off (although these are a pet hate of mine!)

I would contact an electrician for a price - he/she might be able to cut the hole for you as well, or if not, suggest someone who can.

You can also get them with humidistats which shut them down when the humidity gets below a certain level.

I'd go with an inline if you can because they are much more powerful than the on the wall units.

Kev

Good luck with it.

You could ask a plumber, sparks or a general builder/handyman, as long are they have registered with a part p scheme (some have some haven't!).

Thanks for the replies didn't know I was breaking the rules though asking for an idea on price sorry :( Rules are rules but it seems like an odd one, but I know now.

Anyway I went to B&Q today and there range seemed to be very limited so will look around for the right one, I now know I want one with an integral shutter.

It probably won't be soon but I'll update when its all done for others reference.

Sponsored Links
You might want to consider a 'whole house ventilation system', something from the likes of Nuaire or Greenwood. Easy to install, maintenance free (practically).

That said, I would pay no more than £75 for one fitted (outside of the M25!!). I pay around £40 in a new build property including the core drilling.

Thats great and lets me know if I'm getting a silly quote or not.

Never heard of a whole house ventilation system though, think that might be too expensive for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back