Bathroom extractor fans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having low voltage downlights in a new bathroom which had to be shower rated has made me think I ought to check on what the rules are for extractor fans......can anyone help answer a couple of qs?

1. What is the rating required for zone 2 (>2.3m above shower)?

2. I need to install an isolating switch outside the bathroom......what sort and where should it be sited?

3. How powerful would it need to be? room is 2.5 X 1.5

4. Anything else I need to know?

NB This will be inspected by proper electrician for building regs approval.

thanks....

Sponsored Links
jcsteve said:
1. What is the rating required for zone 2 (>2.3m above shower)?

Zone 2 requires electrical products to be IPX4 or better, or SELV with the transformer located in zone 3 or beyond

2. I need to install an isolating switch outside the bathroom......what sort and where should it be sited?

You should install a three pole fan isolator switch like this. This should be installed outside the bathroom and be readily accesible. The normal mounting place is above the bathroom door, with the fan transformer mounted adjacent.

Depends how high your ceiling is

4. Anything else I need to know?

Don't know, but feel free to ask more questions

RF, Does SELV exclude the need for IPX4 in zone 1 or 2 ?

thanks for the info.....ceiling is 2.4m

also....do you normally run them off the lighting circuit?

I was plannning to use one with a humidistat so doesn't need to be triggered by the light.

Sponsored Links
ebee said:
RF, Does SELV exclude the need for IPX4 in zone 1 or 2 ?

Not entirely sure, but it does read like that. I lifted the quote from here (the bottom section of the page)

I`m afraid that drawing is wrong although it`s been repeated al over the place (I wonder where it originated) it shows the Lavatory Hand Basin as influencing the zone boundaries yet the regs & guides do not.
The use of SELV does not preclude the use of IPX4 in zones 1 & 2 in fact guidance note 1 contains a table 8.1 simplifying it

Thanks for the info guys.....one further question.....are there any similar rules for kitchen or utility room extractors?

Kitchen has typical over the cooker hood couple of metres from the sink.

Utility is a small windowless room with w/m, drier and sink.

thanks.

jcsteve said:
Put it this way - unless it's so powerful that you cannot close the bathroom door while it's running, and pets and small children are lifted from their feet, you can't really have one that's too big...

6" would be even fitter.

Manrose do a neat SELV one, with a variety of transformer options (plain, timed, humidistat etc),

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back