Bathroom extractor fused fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a timed extractor fan in my bathroom, I used a wiring diagram which I found on this forum. (Link Below)
http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/student/peter.green/fusedfan.png
The problem I am having is that i have a live feed to the fan while the switch is off but as soon as I pull the switch the light come on but I lose the live to the fan. I have wired it as per the diagram but the only thing i wasn't sure of was the double pole pull switch, which has a supply live & neutral, and a load live & neutral. I wired the light switch wire red to the supply live and black to load live and the new coloured wiring for the fan brown to supply neutral and blue to load neutral. Have i wired these the wrong way?
Thanks
Woody

Sponsored Links
This diagram from the sticky
breezer said:
fan1.bmp
shows what you should do.

Did you add the 2 pole switch? You need a 3 pole as per the above. Bathroom work is part p reportable so you should have informed building control.

Thanks for the constructive reply didthathurt, the problem is that the manufacturers instructions state that a double pole fused control unit must be used with a 3amp fuse, thats why i couldnt run it through a triple pole isolator.
I just dont understand what ive done wrong to have power at the fan with the switch in the off position but as soon as I pull the switch on, the light come on but I lose the power to the fan.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
What make and model fan do you have as, if it is a timer overrun fan, then it cannot be installed properly via a 2 pole switch? The fan needs a switched live, from the light switch - this signals it to turn on when the light goes on - that's shown as the yellow sleeved red on Breezers diagram. It needs an unswitched live - this allows the fan to keep running under timer control when the light is switched off - the red on the diagram. 3rdly, it needs a neutral - shown blue on the diagram. The triple pole enables complete isolation of the unit. There could be some confusion here about the function of this switch - it is purely to enable the fan to be isolated nearby - not to switch it on and off. This is 'normally' a (suitably located) plate switch not a pull switch. To get this working properly (though a double pole could be bodged to get it working) use a triple pole.

Thanks for the replies didthathurt, I have now sorted the problem I had a live and neutral mixed up :oops:
Thanks again
woody

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back