Bathroom extractor

• Thread starter 2scoops0406
  • Start date

2scoops0406

I was going to vent the extractor fan horizontally through the wall, but this is not practical, so I shall celing mount it instead. Can anyone tell me where I can obtain a soffit mounted vent, needs to have a 100mm spigot. I've had a search and a google, but to no avail so far, I can't believe they are that hard to source? Many thanks in advance, oh BTW, sorry about my "frisky" mood yesterday, you know, just happens some days :D

Sponsored Links
you could always vent the extractor via a roof tile vent terminal. check to see what type of tiles you have, and then get one from a reliable builders merchant (not one of the diy sheds). once you have your tile, attach a length of 100mm flexi vent (tumble dryer hose) from your tile to your extractor.

noseall said:
you could always vent the extractor via a roof tile vent terminal. check to see what type of tiles you have, and then get one from a reliable builders merchant (not one of the diy sheds). once you have your tile, attach a length of 100mm flexi vent (tumble dryer hose) from your tile to your extractor.

Yeah I've got marley wavey ones, not easy, I'd much prefer a soffit vent, a lot easier.

Sponsored Links
Eddie M said:
noseall said:

Yeah I've got marley wavey ones, not easy, I'd much prefer a soffit vent, a lot easier.
Have a look here ..
http://www.vent-axia.com/awwebstore/products/accessories/terminationset.asp
;)

I'm not sure if I'm understanding the jargon correctly, but if this is a bathroom fan you want to vent through your attic out either a soffit or the roof, then make sure you use a well insulated duct.

The humidity of the air inside the duct is going to be real high, and here in Canada, if we were to use an ordinary uninsulated duct, then there'd be condensation of that humidity inside the duct, and potential water damage to the ceiling or whatever as a result.

Not sure if it would be as much of a concern in the UK with your milder temperatures, but I thought I'd mention it because I don't think I saw any attention given to that point so far.

Here's a real DIY'er response, could I vent it into the soil stack, I would tend to think the answer would be NO! due to chance/certainty of noxious fumes, entering the bathroom, probably against regs as well I'd have guessed

kevplumb said:
congratulations eddie
you guessed right :LOL: :LOL: ;)

Gotta give me credit for discouting my own dumb ideas, tile vent it is then. Are those ones from screwfix any cop, or would you recommend any other for use with those wavy marley tiles, so popular in the 70's, and so unpopular in the noughties :D

if they're marley, and they're wavey, very likely to be anglia plus, though mendip, double roman and bold roll all have curving profiles. go to a good BUILDERS merchant and ask for a tile vent terminal, either showing them a sample or stating the colour/texture of the tiles i.e. antique brown,smooth red etc. p.s you dont want a ridge vent or a roof space vent!

OK, took a tile, obtained tile vent (£45.00 with adaptor eeek!!), final question, the ventilator will be ceiling mounted, is there an optimal place to site it (apart from the ceiling, of course!) i.e near the window, near the door??

Near the center of your bathroom ceiling.

Also, when using your extractor fan, leave the bathroom door CLOSED.

That results in the cool heavier dry air coming in UNDER the door where gravity helps it displace the warm lighter moist air above it more efficiently. If you leave the bathroom door open, then you don't have gravity working in your favour to help remove as much of the warm moist air from the bathroom as possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back