Bathroom floor - cut around toilet or go under?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to undertake the complete stripping and refitting of my bathroom. For flooring I am either using ceramic flooring tiles or proper bathroom wood laminate (using the appropriate glue obviously)

Now, when it comes to the toilet, do I install the floor and then drill through this to bolt the toilet down to the floor, or do I bolt the toilet to the concrete floor, then cut the flooring around it to fit?

As the floor is concrete, can I just use self-levelling compound and tile onto this or do I still need marine ply?

Sponsored Links
You would be better tiling the floor first and fitting the toilet on top and fixing through the tiles and unless you actually need to level the floor with self levelling compound then just make sure the concrete is clean and dust free, give it a coat of PVA, and tile directly onto the concrete.

Just adding on to Dazb note,the toilet outlet pipe will be in a new position as it will be higher and may not line up,so a slight adjustment may be needed.

Would the same apply to wood laminate? The toilet is right in the corner of the room (as if it would be in the centre!). I have never fitted a toilet before but I would imagine they are quite heavy, plus bolted down securely.

I think that I am more likely to use the good thick bathroom wood laminate now (the concrete feels VERY cold, tiles would be about the same I reckon). So, do I fit the floor then fix the toilet through this like with tiles?

Sponsored Links
This is a difficult one,if it was me I would cut the laminated flooring round the toilet otherwise you might find the flooring have a tent reaction due to the weight of the toilet.Also check that the laminated flooring is suitable for bathroom.

Handy hint for you - If you do decide to cut around the toilet then put the toilet on a piece of card before you install it and draw around the base. Cut out the shape and then this will give you a template that you can then use to mark the cut out for the hole in the tiles/laminate. If you see what I mean :rolleyes:

I had feared a "tent" reaction as you called it, in fact thought it would possibly crack the floor. Well, now I have your second opinion on this I think I will bolt the toilet straight into the concrete floor.

Davey, I do see what you mean and it sounds like a cracking idea, thanks for that.

I think I will also have a look at my parent's shower room as it turns out they have the exact same toilet and flooring as I am fitting (great minds, eh!). They got a good builder in to do all of theirs so I would be interested to see how he finished it all. I do know that he cut the wood around the toilet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back