Bathroom floor - to ply or not to ply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Folks,

As part of the work to fit a new bathroom, I've ripped up most of the tongue and groove chipboard flooring which I was going to replace with new stuff. Eventually I want to put down a waterproof laminate like Karndean, which requires a ply base.

Do I need to replace the chipboard flooring and put the ply over it, or can I remove all the remaining chipboard and just put the ply directly onto the joists? This way I would end up with a laminate floor a similar height to the room next door.

Any thoughts?
MOL.

Sponsored Links
Mug-o-Latte said:
can I remove all the remaining chipboard and just put the ply directly onto the joists? This way I would end up with a laminate floor a similar height to the room next door.
Yes that's the best way to go and make sure you use exterior plywood and at least 18mm or 3/4" thickness and with non-rust screws approx every 9"

Masona,

Thanks for the response. I've heard people talk about marine ply. Is this the same as exterior ply?

MOL.

Well they use marine ply on boat ! We have a boatman chap here on this forum who might be able advise you further.

The exterior plywood have waterproof glue between layer of ply sheets.

Sponsored Links
I am prefectly willing to admit I'm wrong here, but I thought marine ply, and exterior ply were the same.

No, you're not wrong, they both use difference bonding materials.

Exterior plywood use waterproof glue which is graded as WBP (Weather and Boil Proof)

Marine plywood is also waterproof, I think they use epoxy resin glue but I'm not sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back