Bathroom Floor.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

This is my first post....

Anyway, I am looking for information on how best to proceed with my current bathroom floor.

My partner and I have recently moved house, however due to years of neglect by the previous owners, our bathroom needs replacing and repairing.

The chipboard floor has not been protected from the shower and bath, and water must have been pouring onto/into it for many years.

It was highlighted in the Homebuyers Survey that the bathroom floor is extremely spongy and would need replacing.

I have lifted part and can see the joists are ok. The chipboard is warped and the lino is brittle and mouldy/slimey underneath.

I am considering gutting the entire bathroom, and replacing the chipboard, installing new suite including shower and tiling the floor and walls. Which will mean taking down a stud wall and creating a new one in a different position.

Having discussed it with my Dad, he has mentioned that even if I were to replace the chipboard I will still have a bouncy floor and that if I were to tile on top of it, it would eventually crack and the tiles will become loose.

So, I am seeking the advice of any professionals on these forums, or from anyone who has had the same experience.

Would it be advisable to replace the chipboard with 25mm exterior plywood, and then tile on top of this, or would I need to consider other things?

Any help and guidance would be grateful....

Cheers.
Mr Mc.

Sponsored Links
Hi and welcome,

Mr Mc said:
Would it be advisable to replace the chipboard with 25mm exterior plywood, and then tile on top of this, or would I need to consider other things?
25mm ply is perfect but you need to add extra support (noggins) inbetween the joists to support the joints in the ply.
Have a read of the sticky post in the TILING section. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back