Bathroom relocation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to sort out what I think is a botched drainage installation in our house and would appreciate some pointers. From what I can see a re-furb some time before we bought the house paid scant attention to building regs.

I recently realised that the house has no external soil stack vent. (I know I should have spotted it, and so should the surveyor). In the ground all appears to work well but above ground what appears to have been done is that the soil pipe rises from the drain connection in a corner of the kitchen and travels horizonally about 8' through the 10" void between the original old ceiling and a new suspended platerboard ceiling, and terminates at the toilet. The pipes from the bath, shower and basin must connect to it somewhere along the run.

I'm wondering what the best options are. One possibility is to take the vertical section of pipe upwards to the roof but (and I think this is why we have this problem) they added a new window starting about 3" from that corner so the boxing around it would obscure part of the window. Another more aesthetic option would be to run the pipe vertically to the right of the toilet up to the roof space and use a valve at the top.

I've been looking at the regs and wondered what thoughts others may have about what is effective and legal. An out of proportion sketch is (hopefully) here:

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/colin_cheese/detail?.dir=1844&.dnm=838f.jpg&.src=ph

thanks

Colin

Sponsored Links
... which may already be there??
Do you actually have a problem?

Yes, as far as I can see there is no sub stack but thinking it through now it doesn't sem so difficult to correct

Sponsored Links
I have done some dismantling and what looks to be a practical solution is to put a stub stack with air admittance valve next to the toilet then take the toilet waste into the side of that. From there it goes thro the floor and runs above the suspended ceiling and to the vert pipe in the kitchen corner.

Not to scale plan: http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/colin_cheese/detail?.dir=1844&.dnm=838f.jpg&.src=ph

My next issue is how best to connect the basin, shower and bath to the stack or to the horizontal stretch.

Thanks for looking by the way

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back