Bathroom suite: fitting order

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any preferred order for installing a bathroom suite (bath, basin + pedestal, WC) in a small bathroom.
I was thinking of installing the bath first, then doing the WC and basin in turn. But it may be better to remove them all at once, fit service valves and then fit them over a few days.

Incidentally, what is the difference between a service valve and an isolating valve? Both seem to have a screw that cuts off the flow.

Mike

Sponsored Links
The best way is to remove the old bath and take advantage of the greater space to replace the other items.

Tony

mike004 said:
Incidentally, what is the difference between a service valve and an isolating valve? Both seem to have a screw that cuts off the flow.

They serve the same purpose but I believe a service valve has one end which connects directly to the tap/cistern etc and the other to the supply pipe, while an isolation valve connects to the supply pipe at both ends (ie requiring another connector to the item to be "isolated". Check the following link:

http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/097.asp

However, I have seen both terms used for an isolation valve. In fact I sent the other half with a shopping list containing a service valve to the local plumb centre last week and they gave her an isolation valve so be careful when you're ordering.

Oh, and we did our bath first. It allows the basin to be used for washing in the meantime. We left the toilet until last, started in the morning to allow plenty of time as we didn't want to face a late night with no loo.

If the room is small & the bath is furthest from the door, I would start off by fitting isolator valves to all the H/C feeds including the cistern; this will allow you to turn the water back on for the rest of the house while you work at your leisure on the connections to the new units. I would then fit the new sink & WC using a new mutiquick connector for the pan; don’t finally fix the new units to the floor yet, you can then whip them in & out easily to get the new bath installed or if doing tiling, shower work etc. This also allows you to spread the work over a few days if needs be without loosing any of the facilities.
To be honest, I don’t know the difference between a service & isolator valve either!

Sponsored Links
Mostly go and fit the bath 1st as more room to roll about on the floor,If stuck 4 time just shove old pan in position and tell em to flush it with a basin of water till next day.

Richard C said:
If the room is small & the bath is furthest from the door, I would start off by fitting isolator valves to all the H/C feeds including the cistern

Is it OK to fit compression end caps to the hot and cold pipes. Or are they only for Central heating systems?

I need to cap off the WC and basin pipes securely for a few days while I install a new tiled floor and then replace the bathroom suite.

End caps seem to be the cheapest connectors which might do this job...but I could use service valves and then leave 'em in for futire use, I suppose.
Mike

mike004 said:
Richard C said:
If the room is small & the bath is furthest from the door, I would start off by fitting isolator valves to all the H/C feeds including the cistern

Is it OK to fit compression end caps to the hot and cold pipes. Or are they only for Central heating systems?

I need to cap off the WC and basin pipes securely for a few days while I install a new tiled floor and then replace the bathroom suite.

End caps seem to be the cheapest connectors which might do this job...but I could use service valves and then leave 'em in for futire use, I suppose.
Mike

Use service/isolator valves; it's standard practice to fit these to all H/C tails & then pipe to each unit from there (it may even be in the regs now, I'm not sure!). It saves you having to continually keep turning off then main supply to service each unit. They don't really have to be full flow type unless high flow rates are critical i.e. a pumped shower system; I’ve used the screwdriver slotted ball valve type everywhere except on two pumped shower feeds where I’ve used the Pegler full flow type, as suggested by Dan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back