bathroom switches inside or out.?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you had the choice and for safety, which would you rate as the best.

A shower switch 45 amp on the outside of the bathroom and the light switch out side the bathroom.

Or

both inside on string pulled switches

and why?

many thanks
OJ

Sponsored Links
Both pull strings inside, a plate switch inside or not is liable to be operated with wet hands

Both inside more convenient and will stop children that might switch off your light for a joke :LOL:

There are thousands of bathrooms with light pull cord and shower pull cord switches that providing are well enough IP and current rated put in the correct place are safe.

Wet hands yeap i see that now.

Inside pulley my bathroom is really small, the length of a bath and 6 ft wide.
So it is all look so messy and clustered. I have already removed the shower pulley as re wiring and it made so much difference when it was out that i have purchased a 45 amp neon switch for out side the room but im still not 100% on the decision.

It is the saftey option that will change my mind. Athough once the shower switch is on its left on and will be high placed up to the cieling, would this one be ok to go ahead with.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
just bumping this up a tad, i have to have start this tomorrow at latest. Any more views on the shower switch please.

Our bathrooms not much bigger - have shower pullcord on the hinge side of the door and light pullcord on the opening side. Not to cluttered - you need to close the door or reach behind it to operate the shower switch - but as you close the door when showering anyway that's not a problem.

HI steve bathroom small so had door altered to open into landing, so would be a bit in your face at door opening.

had a chat with local guy , suggested as I dont switch the shower on and off a switch out side to cieling should be ok.

I never turn my shower off apparantely not many do.

but I don't know if thats a bad thing or not?? :?: i will retrain my lot if its not safe.

OJ

Odd Job said:
I never turn my shower off apparantely not many do.
Is there not an extractor fan connected to the shower - would be running all the time if there was.

nope not sure what will happen when i have the bathrrom fitted out, my brain needs a rest for a few months before that one :rolleyes:
I do have an unfitted fan that works with the light switch they sound more troble than there worth.. May go for a refund but need to see the variations on fittment as well

OJ
just realised hello nieghbour ;)

Odd Job said:
I do have an unfitted fan that works with the light switch they sound more troble than there worth
:?:

So you'd rather have damp steamy rooms in your house??? Unfitted???

One ex-regular had an ingenious solution in his bathroom. The shower switch controlled the shower, but also a contactor which triggered a bathroom fan on the lighting circuit. And his shower switch was in the loft with the string poking through a hole in a blank plate on the ceiling.

Crafty said:
Odd Job said:
I do have an unfitted fan that works with the light switch they sound more troble than there worth
:?:

So you'd rather have damp steamy rooms in your house

Didnt say i don't have a fan......... i said don't have a fan connected to my shower.

I have one of those big ugly things in the corner of the room of which i would also like to remove.

unfitted cieling fan with halogen light fittment with hose to go through roof or wall, still in box.

How far is the pull cord site from the edge of the bath? And what height is the ceiling?

Just trying to work out which zone the pullcord would be in if it were inside.

walk in door, bath on the left , 9 inch from doorway.

taps at far end of bath and so is wall. ( wall at top of bath and wall at bottom of bath)
next to bath sink, then cistern literaly side by side. and above that is the window.

right wall as you walk in as door opens outwards, cabinet on wall and toilet in corner.

behind you is door way.

Shower pully was above bath left side of doorway.
Light pully was out of bath area and in the 9 inch cieling between door frame and shower pull.

You've got two options for where to put the switch (it's not a pully):

1. Where you want it; or
2. Where everyone else wants it.

If you can't decide where you want it, then go for option 2, which is inside the room. If the cord is too long and in the way, then cut it with some scissors so that it's shorter and not in the way.

I agree with you about those fan things - they're much better off in the box than causing all that trouble after being installed; what with all that removal of moisture-laden air from the room and nonsense like that. I mean, when is Tony Blair going to do something about those installed fans? S*d Iraq - we've got serious dust and fluff issues in every bathroom in the land. Some fans even go wrong and have to be replaced! It's just madness. :eek:

Well it was an idea regarding safety more than anything else.
and now ive sorted the shower i can move on.

may bel stick a flippin sensor on the light and let it have a mind of its own :rolleyes:

As for the fan i do have a window that opens. :idea:

thank you for all your lovely posts about my pullys ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back