Bathroom tiling - easy one for you!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Probably an easy one for you but I’m new to al of this DIYery! With a little help from friend I’m redoing the bathroom, replacing the suite and retiling….now the ‘difficulty’ as said friends – both relatively experienced DIYers have a difference of opinion.

One says that after stripping all the old tile and prepping the wall etc, the new suite should be installed and then the new tiling done…the other says the new tiling should be done and then the bathroom suite fitted as it seals better – personally I’m non the wiser so I’m looking for wiser heads (that’s you lot by the way!) to solve the argument!!

Sponsored Links
I'd say, fit bath, then tile. This means the tiles come over the edge of the bath for a more effective seal. The water run off is over the edge of the bath even if the silicon bead is not 100%. If you tile first and the sealant is not good the water will run behind.

Cheers

Symo

I'd agree - definitely tile after. I would think the only reasoning behind tiling first is so you don't have to cut as many tiles to fit but as long as you plan it out properly it should be fine. When we did our bathroom, because of the size of it & because we were tiling the walls & floor, we invested in one of the electric tile cutters with a tray of water at the bottom - no idea how I ever managed to tile without it to be honest! Good luck anyway - after many tears & tantrums ours is completely finished other than grouting the floor & no matter what goes on while you're doing it the finished effect it so worth it!

There isn't a right or wrong ways of doing it.If your walls are square for the bath then I would say tiles the wall first and butt the bath up to it.

1,It would looks neater,depending on the shape of your bath edge.
2,The sealant would be easier to do and again neater with no rough edge on the bottom of the tiles.
3,The bath always move with the weight of the water and person which will in time show crack along the joint but not if you tiles behind the bath.
4,If you need to move the bath or renew,you can do so neatly.

A little tip,
Fill the bath up with water,before using sealant round the edge.

Sponsored Links
Hi All,

Please advise, when tiling on wooden floor do you have first put plywood on and than tile the floor?

Which is the correct way doing this.

Appreciate you help.

Thanks

Hi - we've just finished ceramic tiling ours. After we'd replaced a couple of dodgy floorboards & nailed down the rest properly we put exterior grade ply down first & then PVA'd it before tiling. I don't know if it's different for vinyl/other tiles. We used an adhesive which can be used for swimming pools - just to be on the safe side. To be honest it was a lot easier than we expected but I think a lot of that was down to the preparation - the floor was absolutely flat by the time we came to actually put the tiles down.

similarly for holding a large sheet of your chosen materila down to stick the tiles to, nails may work up, screws don't

miah said:
Hi All,

Please advise, when tiling on wooden floor do you have first put plywood on and than tile the floor?

Overboard with ply then use adhesive which is designed for timber floors. This way you wont be re-laying them in 6 months time ;)

Overboard with ply then use adhesive which is designed for timber floors. This way you wont be re-laying them in 6 months time

Hi,

What is overboard? how thick ply should be used?

Someone told me it should be no less than 3mm.

Overboard just means to board over the floor and you should really be using 6mm ply screwed down with some 6 X 3/4 inch screws at roughly 6inch square intervals for the best result .

Thank You DaZb,

Do I have to cut the ply in square pieces and screw it in?

Is there any type and size for this overboard - can I buy this from my local B&Q store?

Many Thank.

miah said:
Do I have to cut the ply in square pieces and screw it in?
No,less join the better and as Dazb said screws every approx 6" all round.

Wickes do exterior plywood in 6mm, 4'x2' , 6'x2' or 8'x4'

The plywood must be exterior as it's bonded with waterproof glued.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back