Bathroom tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We want to put a shower in over our bath.

Currently there's a 2 foot height of tiling around the bath and the rest of the room is painted with kitchen and bathroom emulsion on a plastered brick wall.

Will I be okay to sugar soap the emulsion to clean it off and then tile straight on to the painted surface using water resistant adhesive and grout? Or do I need to strip the entire wall surface of the existing paint and tiles to seal it before retiling?

The painted surface is sound, with no signs of flaking/cracking and has coped with the steamy bathroom atmosphere with no sign of any water or damp damage.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Sheff

You do not need to strip the paint off.

Just coat the wall with a PVA sealer (UNIBOND) before you tile.

Is the wall plasterboard? If so take care removing the old tiles!!

I agree, just PVA and tile straight over the top.......!

Although I have heard that 'Tilers' up and down the Uk are insisting on using some type of board around all wet areas. Apparently the Backerboard is water tight and allows the tiles to live where they are put for eternity and beyond... ;)

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

Sponsored Links
coud I just add .....

knock off old tiles an then level up area , an use a sander with course sand paper on paint work , sugar soap down area ,

as its plastered masonry, it depends on the mud/adhesive you apply ,

NEVER ASSUME that all walls needs to be PVA'd

as some adhesive/mud mix sticks too pva an fails ...horribly
ALWAYS check on Mud /Adhesive recommend info on bag ......

btw never take advice off the monkeys in the sheds ...
hope this helps :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back