Bathroom wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's my dilemma. I just bought a new home and the bathroom only has one outlet. That outlet is attached to the light above the sink. Needless to say, this is not an ideal location. I would like to install a new outlet lower next to the sink, but I am not experienced with electrical. Does anyone know how I can do this, or at least where I can learn to do it?

Sponsored Links
I mean electrical outlet, shaver, blow dryer, etc. The only one is a part of the light fixture. I would like to place one next to the sink, where an outlet would normally be.

you will probably find that the outlet has a transformer in it making it safe to use a shaver, but not much else. in the U.K (where this forum is based) you are not allowed to have outlets in a bathroom (I am not joking)

I do not know if it is a similar situation in America

Sponsored Links
I don't believe it is the same.

Considering what a safety-conscious nation the US is, and how many laws and regulations there are to protect people from their own stupidity, some of the things they permit with regard to electricity give me the willies.

In the US, we're allowed to have GFCI protected regular outlets in our bathrooms. I understand this is not the case in the UK.

Anyway back to the original question: First of all wihello, if you are not experienced with electrical work you probably shouldn't be starting with bathroom wiring. There are extra regulations to follow and working with electricity in a potentially wet environment is more dangerous.

First I'd take a look at that existing outlet. Is it grounded? Is it GFCI protected? Is it installed with the proper polarity? If the answer to any of these questions is no, or you do not understand any of them, you definitely want to get an electrician to do this for you.

Before you even consider doing any work, you want to have the proper tools on hand. Get a voltage tester and a screwdriver that's insulated all the way up the shaft, up to but not including the tip. You'll also want wire stripers and a wire cutter, and 12AWG wire. If you don't want to go digging around inside the wall, you'll probably want to get a surface-mount outlet and wiremold so you can run everything on the outside of the wall.

Overwhelmed yet? Get an electrician to do it for you. It's a simple job and won't be all that expensive. Otherwise, continue:

Get yourself a do it yourself book and follow the instructions carefully. Don't skip any steps. The wiremold will have instructions on how to install it on the package. Make sure you have a location picked out before you start drilling holes, and remember the carpenter's rule (measure twice, cut once). Use a level to get attractive, straight lines. Mark things out with a pencil first as a guide.

Most importantly flip the circuit breaker off before you touch anything! Double check that the circuit is dead with your voltage tester. An amateur should never work on a hot circuit. Work safe, electricity is invisible and it can kill you if you're not careful. And since this is a bathroom, make sure the floor is clean and dry. Before you screw on the covers and flip the power back on, use the voltage tester in resistance or continuity mode to test for short circuits.

Also, don't work alone. If something does happen, someone should be around to help you.

Back