Baxi Main Combi 24 HE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening folks I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on my problem? I have a Baxi Potterton Main Combi 24 HE boiler only two weeks old and I switched off the power while having my kitchen fitted as I was sorting out some sockets and the fitters were plumbing in the sink , washing machine , dishwasher. when I turned power back on about four hours later I do not get any hot water. The boiler still fires up when I turn the thermostat up for the heating but will not fire up when I run the upstairs or downstairs hot taps. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
:eek:
Well it's pretty unlikely to be the boiler going wrong at 2 weeks, coinciding with the work.
Have they connected hot and cold the right way round to the boiler, and stuff like that?

You use the word "fitters" to describe the people plumbing in the sink!

Might have been better to have used a qualified plumber!

I assume that water comes out of EACH tap in the kitchen? And the bathroom taps?

As Chris says the obvious assumption is that they have made a plumbing error.

Why did you let them leave if the boiler was not firing up for DHW ???

Call them back tomorrow morning to sort it out for you.

Tony

Not sure as the units are now fitted where they would have been doing the work I would hope that they would have connected them right as the stopcock is in that corner and the pipes was no more than a foot up and 1 maybe 2 feet across to where they were doing their work to connect to the cold tap in the sink . From that the cold goes for another three feet into the boiler then the hot comes out back towards the stopcock feeding the hot tap then going up in the same corner with the cold to feed upstairs. I know it may sound like a stupid question and probably a more obvious answer but would that cause the boiler problem as the water is still running through the boiler when the taps are on and would the cold tap when run cause the boiler to fire up instead of the hot?

Sponsored Links
I dont understand that.

All I ask is that you turn on each tap in turn and tell me if water comes out!

Tony

Yep water comes out of both taps either upstairs and down I have managed to check behind the units and the pipe works looks good to me from the stopcock that feed is going to the cold tap then on towards the boiler and on the way back the one feeding the hot tap then goes upstairs. Thanks in advance for your input Tony.

Sean

Can you turn off the cold water at the valve at the underneath of the boiler and then see if that stops water coming out from the hot taps?

Are you quite sure the cold water enters the boiler at the inlet?

Connecting it backwards is very common!

Tony

Turned off the cold inlet valve ran the hot tap and within two seconds water stopped coming out. when I turned the inlet valve back to open hot tap flows again.

Sean

If you can trace the cold feed from the stopcock, does it go to the right or left hand side of the boiler as you are looking at it?

DHW selector Knob on boiler, Turn anti clockwise to the reset position and hold for five seconds, now try hot tap.

Its not the reset as it is working on heating.. too much of a coincidence not to be pipes crossed. drop front of boiler and the pin on water section will not be moving

Clf gas - tried the reset no joy
Elite heat - cold feed from stopcock definately going to the right hand side of the boiler.

If you are competent open front panel and see if diverter valve pin on the left moves out when a hot tap is turned on!

If it does not then gently pull the switch the pin operates and see if boiler comes on while leaving water flowing.

Tony

Namsag - dropped the front of the boiler but don't know what i'm looking at so I guess I will have to wait till tomorrow for the installer to check it out . I don't mind not washing up its the shower I will miss

Bottom left hand side is a round brass housing facing you with a microswitch on it there is a pin right in midle of housing when HW demanded this pin should come out about half inch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back