Baxi Platinum 24

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Boiler was fitted in Feb 06 and have had numerous problems with the CH switching itself off. Baxi have put in 2 pumps, new circuit board and have now installed an Italian fix (a vent on the heat exchanger) as they thought this would solve it. It hasn't and the boiler still switches itself off regularly. Baxi now think its a software fault and are trying to solve it - there is a handful of other cases in UK that are the same - Baxi think it might be unique to bungalows!! Now to top it all the hot water packed up. Baxi came out and found the plate heat exchanger full of black coke like material. They've replaced the heat exchanger and recommended a system clean. The system was cleaned and inhibiter put in before the boiler was fitted. What I don't understand is, how can this stuff be forming on the hot water circuit which is mains fed - surely this should only form on the CH circuit if there was still debris in the system? I've asked our plumber who recogns the boiler my be leaching somewhere but otherwise doesn't know why. He says our boiler is duff and Baxi need to replace or refund. Has anyone any suggestions or answers?

Sponsored Links
I dont believe that the "black stuff" is on the hot water circuit. I think that its on the heating circuit.

So many times I am told that a system has been cleaned whereas in reality its full of dirt.

The only way to clean a system is to power flush with the appropriate chemicals.

I doubt that there is really any problem with the actual boiler apart from dirt in the system.

Where do you live and was the installer CORGI registered?

Tony

"Black stuff" in the system is not covered by the 5 year guarantee.

Tony

Sponsored Links
If the "black stuff" is on your cold main/d.h.w circuit i would not want a cup of tea in your house.It sounds as if your installer has not flushed/cleansed/inhibited the existing system. :(

Yes the gas man is corgi. Saw him put the cleaner in. Also still inhibiter in the system as Baxi commented on it. Still don't understand why the black stuff is forming on the plate heat exchanger (the DHW circuit) and not on the CH heat exchanger. Can anyone explain - surely any dirt from the CH system shouldn't be getting into the mains DHW circuit?

There are 2 sections on the hot water plate heat exchanger one section where the cold water goes throuh and comes out hot and the other is the central heating section which transfers the heat through the plates to the hot water which heats it up and this is the side which will be full of the black sludge :rolleyes:

How much should I expect to pay for a power clean on a bungalow with 8 rads then?

Also, the hot water temperature sensor was rocketing up to 90 without shutting down - surely there must have been a fault with the boiler to let the water in the heat exchanger get that high - surely it should have switched itself off? The water coming through the taps wasn't that high but the exploding noises coming from the boiler had us shut the system down before goodness knows what happened.

the temperature sensor represents the temperature of the water on the heating side which it needs to be around 80-90 to get the water in the plate heat exchanger upto 55-60 :confused:

i would expect to pay around £300 for a correctly carried out power flush or if you want to got o british gas around £500 :confused:

Thanks peeps for your replies - much appreciated.

Not sure how old the system is/was - rads are old and we have already replaced 2 and as we decorate through the place we'll do the others but it won't be done this year.

Can anyone explain what happens with a power clean? Do the rads have to be taken off - should I expect any mess indoors as I've just put brand new carpets throughout.

Power flushing is done from the boiler, the pipes under the boiler or from a radiator. We often use the bathroom rad because the floor is often tiled and flushing is messy!

The boiler flow should be around 60°C or lower if the heat is being transferred into the hot water.

If the system is dirty it can deposit oxides onto the heat sensor and slow down the heat up and thermal response.

Your installer is responsible for cleaning the system. If all he did was tip some cheap chemical into the water then that was not enough. A power flush with a Fernox or Sentinel appropriate chemical is the only method likely to work on a dirty system.

Tony Glazier

Can the same effect be achieved by doing a couple/three system cleans and drain downs ourselves?

Yes I did know that but after finding that we've already paid out for one clean and that wasn't sufficient i'm unhappy to part with £300 if it was possible to achieve the same result ourselves with two or three cleans and drain downs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back