BCO advice please

RKB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
The cottage that I own (well the building society owns!) is essentially an early Victorian workers cottage that was "modernised" in the late 60's by an "architect". I use the quotes around the term architect as the modifications included:
1. Flat roof utility extension to the kitchen
2. Flat roof extension to form integral garage/hall/downstairs toilet.
3. Flat roof garage
Are you picking up a common theme yet! I don't believe for one moment that he had planning permission for this lot, but as the cottage is in the middle of nowhere, I guess no passing BCO noticed.

I have had some plans passed to convert items 1. and 2. to pitched roofs, and am getting the money sorted for a springtime start.
My concern is that a lot of the work done back then (that I'm redoing as I refurb each room) looks really shoddy. I'm now concerned that things like the use of DPM for the extensions, falls of drainage pipes etc may have been ommitted or bodged.
My question is, could the BCO people make me redo any of this work if it falls short of current rules? If not, how do I differentiate between my work and this cowboys if it comes down to it? Would I be inviting trouble if I spoke to the BCO people and talked this through with them, or asked them to come out and have a look?
Grateful as always for your views....
Roger

Sponsored Links
Did you have a survey when you bought the house? If so have a look and see what the surveyor said.

Victorian workers cottage that was "modernised" in the late 60's...
I don't believe for one moment that he had planning permission for this lot

there's a long stop on enforcement for planning. I can't remember what it is, but I'm pretty sure that if it was 35 years ago, you are ok.

(Ah, looks like the longstop for single dwellings is 4 years, see
http://www.willowbrookcentre.org.uk/factsheets/factsht9.htm )

I'm now concerned that things like the use of DPM for the extensions, falls of drainage pipes etc may have been ommitted or bodged
Is there actually a problem? -damp etc, or pipes backing up? If there is, then they'll need sorting, if there isn't, then why worry? If it aint broke etc....

could the BCO people make me redo any of this work if it falls short of current rules?
Almost certainally no, for domestic properties, unless you are changing the use of a space, e.g. garage to a habitable room, when it would have to comply with current regs.
changes to Building regs don't apply retrospectively in domestic. There are some cases in commercial and public buildings, though, e.g. disabled access.
If you are concerned about the work not being to the late 60s regs originally, the longstop thing probably applies again, though it may be different for Building control and Planning.

how do I differentiate between my work and this cowboys
You say you have plans approved for the pitched roof work. Did this include drawings 'as existing?' That would help define the scope of the works you are undertaking. You could always take photographs of the building as existing, before you start works. When does the BCO first want to see the work? e.g. do they want to see that the existing structure is satisfactory to take the new pitched roofs? You could pick their brains then.
Also, if they inspect the completed pitched roof work for the certificate prior to any decorations, fittings and furnishing work, then it should be pretty obvious what is old and what is new.

In my experience, I have found building control to be helpful, and if it were me, I'd be inclined to give them a call.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your considered views, Pieman.
I'm going to get hold of a digi camera and photo everything I uncover.
I called the local BCO today, and explained my situation, and he was pretty understanding. He is going to drop by and just have a look at some of the stuff I'm concerned about -he seemed quite understanding.
The plans that I had passed did include a "as is" section, so the planning people are well aware.

Thanks again...
Roger

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back