belfast sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone any ideas on any satisfactory ways of fitting a Belfast sink into a standard laminated worktop.
its already fitted into a vets surgery and they want to replace the existing wooden worktop but don't really want to spend out on a wooden one, but obviously its going to be no good if the chipboard is just going to blow in a couple of weeks time.

cheers
gareth

Sponsored Links
I got asked by a customer to do this, I couldn't see how it could be done and last for any length of time.

I posted the question on another forum and got 5 replies, all from kitchen fitters/ carpenters, they all said walk away from it. One had done it against his better judgement and had the oppotunity to view it a year later and it had stood up but even he said he would not do it again.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

The only idea i can come up with is to use a solid wood edge (about 75mm) around the cut out. Make oversized rectanglular cut out, biscuit and glue with polyurathane adhesive solid wood edge to laminate and then scribe and round over to fit sink. Make a bit of a feature out of it :idea: .

this answer might look familiar gareth :LOL: :LOL: ;)

heeelllooo gareth

in my humble opinion its not going to work because
all edges have to be square to accomodate the edging do you think it would look good

also you need a cappilery groove under all edges overlapping the sink

on top of that you cant have drainage grooves so the water that hasnt been wiped up finds a pin hole you missed when sealing all the edging and the underneath where the capilery groove are

couldnt you convince them to replace with one length over the sink with block board

another point is you can rework [sand down block tops]to give it longer life
where as laminate will shurly scratch with all the pooches and cats!!!!!

Sponsored Links
cheers guys have persuaded them to use a wooden top around the sink

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back