Bench Grinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Slightly off "home electrics" I know, but someone may be able to help.

I have a bench grinder with two wheels. It packed up recently and as there cannot be too many reasons for the failure I thought I would start with the 'start up' capacitor.

It's a 2.5 micro farad, 450VAC housed in a rectangular case marked CBB61 and made in China I believe.

Anyone suggest a suitable UK alternative.

Sponsored Links
The capacitor will not have caused the grinder to fail. The capacitor is there for power factor correction, and without the capaicitor the grinder will still run perfectly well.

1) Do you have access to any test equipment?

2) Is the grinder single or three phase?

3) Have you verified there is still a supply arriving at the grinder?

4) How does the grinder switch on and off? Is it just an on off switch, or does it have start stop and emergency stop buttons?

5) Have you tested the motor windings for continuity?

what makes you state with such confidence the cap is just power factor correction? it could well be a capacitor start motor in which case the cap is pretty vital.

i had a faulty dentist chair motor, changed the capacitor all ok. think i got it through maplin.

Sponsored Links
I was not aware of capacitor start motors.
You can get a replacement capacitor Here

Do a search for part number 441-9329 (Direct links do not work for this site)

I thank you for your thoughts 'RF Lighting' and whilst I did check the fuse I did not go further. After reading your your comments I did then start checking the power to the input side switch and then the output but not the windings - not too sure what to expect. I have a Fluke 75 which is fine for volts, current and resistance but not too good for insulation.

Anyway having moved all the spade connections to take readings and finding everything fine I put it all back together, switched on and bingo it ran fine.

So have to assume an open circuit somewhere and me fiddling fixed it.

I did check the RS part and whilst my capacitor was rectangluar it would have done fine looking at the spec.

Thanks for the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back