Bending and joing chrome plated copper tubes...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I am about to connect a chrome plated towel rail in my bathroom to my CH, and I've got a couple of 300mm lengths of 15mm chrome plated copper tubes to run from the towel rail through the floorboards. I'm not too sure about a couple of things though:

1. Can I use my usual pre-soldered fittings to join the chrome plated tubes to the standard CH copper tubes?

2. And can I bend the chrome plated copper tubes (slightly - I only need a small bend)? I've heard the chrome plating might crack, but does this cause any problems other than looking a bit of a mess (I can bend them under the floorboards, so the mess should be out of sight and mind)

Thanks for any help you can give - especially if it saves me getting grumpy at the weekend and having to make an extra trip to B&Q :D

Cheers,
R1

Sponsored Links
Chrome tube can be bent, how far depends on the quality but 90% is within it's range for better stuff.

Connections should be with compression fittings

Thanks doitall - that's a big help.

Another quick question... is it ok to use a pipe cutter on the chrome plated copper pipes, or will that crack the plating and stuff up the compression joint?

Cheers again,
R1

Sponsored Links
not if it's of good quality it won't. I always use pipe cutters and bend with the Hilmor hand bender with no problems.

I bought a Blackspur pipe cutter yrs ago when I first tried to do plumbing.
It broke on the third cut :( .

I learned my lesson with cheap tools :oops:

You can solder chrome pipe if you dechrome it first with a file and wire wool. although this does take time and only recommended when a compresion fitting is not practical. say 15mm chrome pipe onto 10mm microbore buried in the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back